Really??

Options
UGH!! So it's National Teacher Appreciation Week and our school district has lovingly sent over some "treats" for the faculty. We have about 4 dozen hot, fresh donuts in the office and a HUGE tray of assorted cookies in the lounge. Seriously???

I'm shutting my door and pretending my grapes are covered in chocolate. Grrr!! Perhaps this counselor needs counseling today! ;)

Replies

• beckster2223
    beckster2223 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do it! A minute on the lips, forever on the hips!!

Happy Teach Appreciation Week!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    Oh good Lord...after lunch they brought in trays of fresh cinnamon rolls from Cici's Pizza for yet another "treat."

Can't an educator get a celery stick or some cucumber slices as appreciation "treats?" LOL!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables would be far more appreciated by most teachers I know! ;) I hear ya!
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    I hate that! At work, when it is someone's Birthday, you have to (The Birthday Person) bring in treats! Usually it's donuts or bagels and Cream cheese! Plus it has to be enough for about 30 or so people! Happy birthday?

Who's darn Idea is this? How cruel!!!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should so mention it to someone so they'll do better next year. Nicely, of course. I work in a medical office and I had this drug rep that used to bring cookies for me so that I would order supplies from him. One day when he came in, I said next time you can just leave them with the front desk, since I don't really eat cookies right now. The next time he came, he brought a veggie tray w/ low fat dressing and the time after that healthy sandwiches. :)
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why WE equate happy with junk food is beyond me!!!

Good for you for staying away... mark this day down as it helps to remember overcoming obstacles and staying focused on hard days!
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher and it has been the same for me this week....donuts, bagles, and muffins for breakfast yesterday, gaint subs and pizza for lunch today, cake after school, candy in my mailbox, baked goods from students. I have pretty decent will power, but it's SOOOO hard when it's all the freaking time! I just keep repeating my mantra - nothing tastes as good as being fit feels. I've also compromised with myself....I really wanted a muffin yesterday morning, so I made my slimmed down, yummy zuchinni muffins last night and had one of those, becasue I was looking forward to that, I forgot all about the giangantic 600 calorie ones in the lounge. I also am biking 40 miles today, so I pormised myself I would make low-fat strawberry milkshakes (fro-yo, greek yogurt, skim milk, pureed strawberries - under 200 cals!) after dinner tonight IF I didn't cheat at all today.
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    And they wonder why everyone is overweight....duh!
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    The principal at one of my campuses just sent an email and says he is buying us a big Mexican food lunch on Friday. He wants to know "what kind of enchilada dinner I would prefer." Le sigh. I'm requesting chicken fajitas, no rice, no beans, no tortillas, extra pico. Maybe I'll get a decent meal out of all the "appreciators" yet! LOLOL!!!!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Several of our local Mexican resturaunts makes an awesome grilled chicken salad. Just your basic salad but the chicken is always so good, and it has a little of that "white cheese" on it insead of cheddar.

That is my go-to meal for Mexican. It's yummy!

Just wanted to throw that in there...
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    Well today's treat is ice cream and all the toppings for sundaes. I think next year I'm calling in sick all week when we are "appreciated" again.

Our sweet secretary is bringing a veggie tray tomorrow for us to share. She and I are the only ones who will probably eat it. LOL!!!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well today's treat is ice cream and all the toppings for sundaes. I think next year I'm calling in sick all week when we are "appreciated" again.

Our sweet secretary is bringing a veggie tray tomorrow for us to share. She and I are the only ones who will probably eat it. LOL!!!

Hey- more for the both of you! I'm so glad I don't work in an environment where I'd have things like that put in front of me. The job I am waiting for an opening in will also help my diet. In a prison, you eat what the prisoners eat- um, no thanks..haha.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As a Mom who used to volunteer for the Teacher Appreciation Breakfasts/Lunches during my sons' elementary school years, we used to try to put out healthy choices along with the yummy not so healthy choices, and I can tell you that the teachers barely touched the healthy stuff, maybe one teacher or aide out of 30 would go for the healthy choices. It didn't make sense to bring in the healthy food (which was also more expensive) if the teachers weren't going to eat it. This was meant to be a special treat for them, and by gosh they wanted the splurge stuff! This was 1999 - 2005, and hopefully things have changed by now, since they no longer allow parents to send in cupcakes and candy etc. for the student parties due to health reasons.