Why We Get Fat

Options
Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes- has anyone read the book?

I am a couple chapters in and it's honestly kind of discouraging. It goes on and on about how everything we have learned about weight loss is wrong. It's NOT about calories in vs calories out. The author mentions that when we exercise, we get hungry and eat more... which leads to weight gain! We eat carbs that mess with our hormones and insulin levels... which leads to weight gain... even if we are eating a small amount of calories. People were put on restricted "balanced" diets of 1000-1200 calories a day and lost only a few pounds over 6 months. Only 1 in 4 lost 20lbs. And then keeping it off was near impossible. Makes sense. I ate a diet of 1200-1800 calories and lost 60lbs in about a year. Got to a point in my life where I couldn't count calories due to work and eating what was available... gained back 30lbs in 6 months! I read great reviews on this book. I am hoping the "And What To Do About It" part is more helpful! =/

Just wondering what anyone else thought of the book.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Generally speaking I think Taubes is a journalist and sensationalist and the majority (certainly not ALL) of what he says isn't supported enough for him to reach those conclusions. Unfortunately he tends to ingore a large supply of studies and just cherry picks the few that support his rather silly ideas. But, he is good at convincing.

I would suggest not putting too much stock into what he writes, and I would also recommend the following counterpoints to Taubes' theories by someone who I consider very objective, and well researched. Krieger writes excellent stuff in general:

http://weightology.net/?p=265
    http://weightology.net/?p=251
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Lyle McDonald has a good write up about insulin and a huge debate occurs between Taubes fans and Lyle, you can see the article here with the interesting comment that I'll just paste below:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html

Lyle:

"Blah, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I’ve seen and heard it all before but here’s the problem. A major part of Taube’s entire premise is based on a 1980 study that is incorrect.

I’ll simply quote Bray from his review of Taube’s book and then ask you the following question: How come Taubes, in his ’5 years of research’ wasn’t able to realize that the self-reported food data in 1980 was wrong?

It’s 2009 and we know factually that the obese eat more than the lean. Yet somehow Taubes was unable to come across that data point. And refuses to acknowledge it even now. What does that tell you about him and his agenda?

This quote comes from the following paper.

Bray, GA. Good Calories by Gary Taubes. Obesity Reviews (2008) 9:251-263.

Bray says:
    “In developing his ideas about calories and obesity in Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes argues that obese individuals do not eat more than lean ones do. The data for his belief come from the Diet and Health Report (16) prepared by the National Academy of Sciences. This report said ‘Most studies comparing normal and overweight people suggest that those who are overweight eat fewer calories than those of normal weight’.calories more per day. To maintain this extra weight the women have to eat enough food to provide this extra energy.

We now know that the data used in the Diet and Health Report were wrong and that obese people eat more food energy than do lean ones. The data showed that normal-weight people underreport what they eat by 10–30%. This means that dietary food-intake records underestimate energy expendi- ture by nearly a quarter. For overweight people, the degree of underreporting is higher, varying from 30% to 50%.”

Bottom line, it’s still calories in vs. calories out."

Note that the specific rebuttals are directed at information in GCBC and not "Why We Get Fat", but it's worth reading what I am posting to understand how Taubes makes his incorrect conclusions.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes has some interesting stuff to say but be aware that he is a noted Carbohydrate demonizer.

He is as extremist in the anti-carb direction as many of the Fat demonizers of the past few decades have been in the other direction.

It's good to know all these different viewpoints but it can lead to confusion and frustration. When it comes to weight loss, it is all about energy in vs energy out. That's basic physics and biology. There are lots of smaller factors but energy in/energy out is the big one.

I'd recommend reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's a really nice, middle of the road, common sense antidote to all the nutritional extremists like Taubes. It will bring some balance to your relationship with eating.
  • Horseyrider
    Horseyrider Posts: 22
    Options

Generally speaking I think Taubes is a journalist and sensationalist and the majority (certainly not ALL) of what he says isn't supported enough for him to reach those conclusions. Unfortunately he tends to ingore a large supply of studies and just cherry picks the few that support his rather silly ideas. But, he is good at convincing.

This has been my impression too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes is a low carb advocate. Unless you're WILLING to adhere to a low carb diet the rest of your life, learn a different method.
    And yes it really is about calories in and calories out. There are other factors such as hormones, genes and intangibles not within our control, but you can't really gain fat or lean body mass from eating calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennybaby89
    jennybaby89 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I was beginning to think the same way. His comments and "conclusions" seem pretty one-sided. I dunno if I even want to finish reading the book!
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    I am all for cutting back on carbs. I try to keep mine relatively low and focus on more protein... but I don't think whole grains are going to make me fat. Sugar, ice cream and brownies outside of moderation will!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Taubes is clearly right that its not about the calories.

i mean look around on this calorie counting site, nobody is having any success at all.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Let me throw in additionally that I'm not anti-low carb. Low carb is a viable tool for some people, it's just not the blanket solution and to demonize a macronutrient is just silly. I'm anti-BS.
  • waldo56
    Options
    To the body, fat = carbs.

There isn't much in the way of a metabolic pathway to go back and forth (the body does not store carbs as fat and it doesn't store fat as glycogen).

Eat more carbs and it burns more glycogen and less fat. Eat more fat and it burns more fat and less glycogen. The difference in burn rate at a given calorie intake is a total wash. Glycogen however is better exercise fuel, you will perform better athletically on a higher carb, lower fat diet than vice versa.

The whole anti-carb argument looks at the trees and totally ignores the forest, same as the anti-fat argument does (did). Both need to be moderated to lose body fat.

Also note, there IS a metabolic pathway for protein to glycogen, and the body needs glycogen. Eat too few carbs and your body will cannabalize your muscles if you don't eat enough protein for the body to synthesize essential glycogen.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Taubes is clearly right that its not about the calories.

i mean look around on this calorie counting site, nobody is having any success at all.

I see what you did there. :)

He is right...in a WAY. When you are in a calorie deficit, it really is about calories in vs calories out. When you are maintaining then you have to be a little more careful as carbs are burned first, and dietary fat is stored. Eat too many carbs and the body will never burn the fat you eat. However if you are hitting your 40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protien macros and working out you should be fine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Let me throw in additionally that I'm not anti-low carb. Low carb is a viable tool for some people, it's just not the blanket solution and to demonize a macronutrient is just silly. I'm anti-BS.
    When the whole world starts gaining weight from carbs and the science is conclusive, then I'm a believer, until then I'll continue to lower my body fat percentage and weight consuming carbs.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes- has anyone read the book?

I am a couple chapters in and it's honestly kind of discouraging. It goes on and on about how everything we have learned about weight loss is wrong. It's NOT about calories in vs calories out. The author mentions that when we exercise, we get hungry and eat more... which leads to weight gain! We eat carbs that mess with our hormones and insulin levels... which leads to weight gain... even if we are eating a small amount of calories. People were put on restricted "balanced" diets of 1000-1200 calories a day and lost only a few pounds over 6 months. Only 1 in 4 lost 20lbs. And then keeping it off was near impossible. Makes sense. I ate a diet of 1200-1800 calories and lost 60lbs in about a year. Got to a point in my life where I couldn't count calories due to work and eating what was available... gained back 30lbs in 6 months! I read great reviews on this book. I am hoping the "And What To Do About It" part is more helpful! =/

He has to say that everything we know about weight loss is wrong otherwise there would be no point in buying his book.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    To the body, fat = carbs.

There isn't much in the way of a metabolic pathway to go back and forth (the body does not store carbs as fat and it doesn't store fat as glycogen).

Eat more carbs and it burns more glycogen and less fat. Eat more fat and it burns more fat and less glycogen. The difference in burn rate at a given calorie intake is a total wash. Glycogen however is better exercise fuel, you will perform better athletically on a higher carb, lower fat diet than vice versa.

The whole anti-carb argument looks at the trees and totally ignores the forest, same as the anti-fat argument does (did). Both need to be moderated to lose body fat.

Also note, there IS a metabolic pathway for protein to glycogen, and the body needs glycogen. Eat too few carbs and your body will cannabalize your muscles if you don't eat enough protein for the body to synthesize essential glycogen.
    Totally agree! I hit a stall a few weeks ago and have to watch both fats and carbs. The difference is ridiculous.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

Just wait.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Only read what you wrote and I think its not accurate. Ive lost about 85lbs by excersise and eating differently. And ive maintained for about 2 years now. I pretty much eat the same when I excercise vs when I dont so ususally have a deficit or somewhat of one and sometimes I splurg and eat a bowl of ice cream and cookies been this way for over a year now and im still at the same weight. And same intensity of excersise.
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    Side- thanks for all those links.

Glad I am not alone in thinking his claims and conclusions seem pretty... odd. I have no idea why so many people recommended his book.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Glad I am not alone in thinking his claims and conclusions seem pretty... odd. I have no idea why so many people recommended his book.

I would recommend reading other information on the websites I linked as well. In fact:

www.weightology.net
    www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.body-improvements.com
    www.alanaragon.com

The above are excellent sources without any alarmism, and there's plenty of free articles to browse through.
  • waldo56
    Options

Because people want to believe that "they" got it wrong. People want to be among a small group that sees the true light while the masses of lemmings and sheep cluelessly follow futile directions from their overlords. It props up their ego and makes them feel good about themselves, something that a lot of overweight people have an issue with.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Also again only applying what I read in the first post if those claims were in fact true. In pretty much every industrialized nation the conclusion would be there would be no skinny people everyone would be fat.