Does not work

Options
Miiimii
Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
Hello everybody,

I'm a fintess pal since 45 days, but nothing happened at all. I'm taking it very serious and write down every calorie and was nearly never (three times) over my calorie goal. I even didn't lost one pound in the whole time. I already checked with my doctor and she said, there are people who could just eat bread and water and will gain weight. So probably I would never lose weight. That's really mad. I eat 1.200 calories a day and don't want to go lower, because that wouldn't be healthy. normally I do sports two or three times a week, but at the moment I'm ill and the doc said I'm not allowed to go to the gym. But even in my sporty times my weight didn't go down - and yes, I eat my training calories back.

So ... is there any one with the same problem, who can give me some tipps. Maybe there is a way to trick my body. ;-)

Best
Miiimii

P.S. I have thyroid problems (Hashimoto) but my results a perfect at the moment.

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    if you have a thyroid problem you will need to eat different kinds of foods to see results. you also probably need to eat more than 1,200 calories in addition to eating back the calories you burn when you exercise. if you open your food diary to the public we can give you more specific advice. good luck!
  • nadiakim
    nadiakim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey I know how easy it is to get discouraged. And having a thyroid issue doesnt help. Are you on medication for your thyroid? Im just a few years older than you and have been struggling for 3 1/2 months to loose weight. One issue I realized was that I wasnt even eating enough for my body to function. I would suggest you try fat2fitradio.com and use the bmr calculator to determin how many calories your body needs to just live and function. And then do that for one to two months and see if that helps. Its all a guessing game I find. Its been the pits. But the important thing is to keep at it. Sometimes it takes a while for our bodies to get what we are trying to do. Maybe your dr. can refer you to a nutritionalist and talk to them. Without seeing your food diary I cannot say if its the foods your eating. But 1200 maybe too little calories. I know it was for me. Good luck! Dont give up! You're not alone.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Increase you calories and see if that helps. Everyone is different, there is no set formula to lose weight really. But if you have been real strict to the 1200 calories, I would suggest eating more, at least a few days, to see if that wil promote some loss. You really just need to play with it to see what works for you.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    thanks for your advice. I checked my bmr on fat2fitradio and it says my bmr (just living) is around 1700. How much should I subtract to loose weight. I eat pretty healthy, cook a lot fresh stuff, eat no fast food or ready to eat stuff and I'm a vegetarian. I already asked my docotr why I don't lose weight and she said, everybody is different and probably my metabolism is very slow and not made for loosing weight. Or my psyche doesn't want to lose weight because I need protection. Don't know. It's just really frustrating. But many thanks for your nice words and help. I opend my diary, so probably you see any mistakes there.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    if you have a thyroid problem you will need to eat different kinds of foods to see results. you also probably need to eat more than 1,200 calories in addition to eating back the calories you burn when you exercise. if you open your food diary to the public we can give you more specific advice. good luck!

What kind of food would you suggest for people with thyroid? I eat very health - vegetarian, no fast food, nor ready to eat stuff, only organic. I opend my food diary, so you can have a look. (Last four days I was really above my calorie goals - family party with to much delicous food ;-))
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice. I checked my bmr on fat2fitradio and it says my bmr (just living) is around 1700. How much should I subtract to loose weight. I eat pretty healthy, cook a lot fresh stuff, eat no fast food or ready to eat stuff and I'm a vegetarian. I already asked my docotr why I don't lose weight and she said, everybody is different and probably my metabolism is very slow and not made for loosing weight. Or my psyche doesn't want to lose weight because I need protection. Don't know. It's just really frustrating. But many thanks for your nice words and help. I opend my diary, so probably you see any mistakes there.

i cant believe your doctor told you that!!

are you taking the meds for your thyroid?

sounds like you need some help getting your metabolism jump started. my advice is
    1. eat more. eat at least your BMR for a few weeks or even a month. eat more protein, so since you're veggie go for eggs, avocadoes, nuts, protein powder, greek yogurt.
    2. how are you exercising? if you arent, then start doing more things where you are working with your body weight. if you're a newbie to exercise then you're body is going to work with you at first to build new muscle. muscle will help stimulate your metabolism as well. if you belong to a gym then get a trainer to to show you around the weight room so that you can start strength training

honestly if you have a sluggish metabolism, i think you should focus 1-2 months on getting it kick started and not worrying about weight loss.

you CAN lose weight. dont give up hope!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Find yourself another doctor. Quick!
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You're probably already doing this, but I'll mention it just in case-- weigh and measure your food, don't just eyeball it.

It may seem to some that this can't be all that important, but it is. Most of us can't trust our eyes.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Useless Dr!!!

For thyroid problems there is one tip I freely share - try taking a selenium supplement, preferably with added vitamins A,C,E as they help absorption. It supports thyroid function.

I have the opposite problem in that I'm hyperthyroid (Graves disease) but I find that as long as I take this consistently my symptoms are manageable - 15 years ago I was planning surgery and the having to battle with supplementing T3 and T4 artificially.

It's also worked for friends with hypothroid conditions.

No guarantee of cousre, but it's well worth trying.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Find yourself another doctor. Quick!

Defenetely!! What kind of answer is "everybody is different and probably my metabolism is very slow and not made for loosing weight".... Yes. Everybody is different but then the doctor should have said "will try this and this and see what happens!"

Of course you can lose weight. It may take you longer than others, but you can!
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I already eat a lot of protein in chickpeas, lentilles and avocado, but I don't eat eggs and I'm not a big fan of milk products. I'm not striktly veagn, but I try to eat as less animal products as possible.

Normally I'm a really sporty person - since years, only the last weeks I had to stop training because of an infection that doesn't go away (I've been five times to different docotrs but no body could help - they just said, I should drink a lot and go easy (no sports)). I'll go back to my regular sport programm when my infection is gone (when ever that will be).

And yes I take medicine for my thyroid, so it works quiet well. But I also have a lack of vitamin B12 - I used to get injections every month, but now my doctor wants to try if it works without the injections. Probably that the problem. Don't know.

I'll try to go back to my fitness programm as soon as possible. Also I'll start to go to work by bike next week (weather was to bead in the last month), that are 25 minutes biking in the morning and evening. If there will be no change in the next one or two month I'll go for another doctor.

Many thanks to you all.

P.S. Is very nice to get so much help from people all over the world. sorry if there are too many mistakes in my texts, but I'm not a native speaker. ;-)
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medication for your thyroid problem? Ask your doctor if Sea Kelp tablets, which regulate your thyroid gland, will work for you and if so, start taking them immediately.

Otherwise, you might not lose anything because this is something hormonal and you might have an underactive gland and diet and exercise doesn't have any effect on this at all.It's not a serious problem and can be so easily treated by your doctor, go and see him again and ask for hormonal tablets which will regulate your metabolism as well.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Are you taking any medication for your thyroid problem? Ask your doctor if Sea Kelp tablets, which regulate your thyroid gland, will work for you and if so, start taking them immediately.

Otherwise, you might not lose anything because this is something hormonal and you might have an underactive gland and diet and exercise doesn't have any effect on this at all.It's not a serious problem and can be so easily treated by your doctor, go and see him again and ask for hormonal tablets which will regulate your metabolism as well.

Yes, I'm already taking medicine for my thyroid problems. without my medicine I have a little hypofunction, but I just checked my results and at the moment everything is fine. So my thyroid should not be the problem.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Its easy to be a vegan and stay fat. Some vegetables have plenty of vegetable fat.

The fact you said you eat plenty of lentils and avocados sends up a little red flag right away.

Avocados have a lot of fat, good fat, but fat none the less...

...and lentils are usually cooked with a good dose of salt. Salt usually causes water retention.

Also, have you opened your diary?

Make sure you diversify your food and get some exercise. Also, if you remain strictly vegan, be sure to take supplements for b12, iron, zinc and the other vitamins and minerals you may find hard tor impossible to obtain in sufficient amounts.
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    P.S. Is very nice to get so much help from people all over the world. sorry if there are too many mistakes in my texts, but I'm not a native speaker. ;-)

For a non-native speaker you're doing great, don't worry about mistakes!! I'd say maybe see a nutritionist as well as your doctor, maybe they'd be able to give you a diet plan and see if that works for you. And like others have said, eat more to try and kick start your metabolism, and maybe build some muscle too :)
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You will be fine when you start exercising again.
    reset your goals
    the site will take off some cals for the weight loss.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Your diary shows that you go over your allowance quite a bit. Is your calorie allowance the recommended one, or your own? What is your current weight, and/or how much do you want to lose?
    Thyroid problems can be a pain, but with the right medication, can be managed, try Kelp tablets, from your health shop. They work for me, and my family.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Try: 'Eat This, Not That' books...easy to follow and you will lose weight.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Ok. Having just viewed your diary, I want to amend my previous response.

First of all, you have exceeded your calorie count about 90% of the time, and by exceeding, I mean you are about 600 to a 1000 calories or more OVER your calorie recommendation ALMOST EVERY DAY.

Second, you must have a vague concept of vegan because you are eating salmon, shrimp, various cheeses and several other foods which are absolutely not vegan. Besides that, the cheeses and such you are eating are very rich, dense foods which contain fat.

Personally, I don't care whether you are a vegan or not, I just wonder why you would say you were when you are clearly an omnivore on a daily basis.

My advice for losing weight:

1. Stay within a couple hundred calories of your recommended calorie most if not all days.

2. get at least 15 minutes of exercise each day...something that raises your heart rate a little bit,

3. Make sure you track everything, food and exercise, accurately.

Good luck.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Your doctor said some people can't lose weight? I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask....is he/she overweight by chance? I once believed I couldn't lose weight, until I started doing it right and wow look at that, the weight comes off.

I agree with others, try upping your calories, maybe 100 at a time so you can find what your range should be (in addition to eating back exercise calories).

I have hypothyroid which I take meds for and PCOS (also medicated) which supposedly hinder weightloss. Now granted I don't have a lot of wiggle room, I have to stay pretty strict to my calorie limit or I have troubles losing, but I don't adhere to any specific diet and I seem to lose just fine.