New to Myfitnesspal

Options
Hi,

So I'm new to this website and pretty new to tracking foods and all of that with weight loss. I'm 19 years old and in a few weeks I will be having Breast Reduction Mammaplasty surgery. My goal by the end of July is to be down 10 pounds.

Also I am a woman with Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome and was recently tested for diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family and the PCOS puts me at a higher risk so even if I don' have it yet I want to lose weight to prevent it.

I am currently going to college full time (entering my sophmore year) at a tiny private school 3,000 miles away from my family and friends. I love my school but being that far away has made it somewhat difficult to stay on track with weightloss. I'm hoping to get into a good routine while I'm still home for the summer so that when I go back to school I can stick with it.

My biggest difficulties with losing weight have always been the self motivation. I eat when I'm bored and I spend a lot of my day home alone while all my friends are at work. I am a nanny but only work every other week so the off weeks are very difficult for me. I also have a hard time thinking in small portions because as a child I was not over weight so it was never anything I had to worry about, when I stopped dancing at the beginning of high school I began to gain weight and have steadily gained weight for the past 4 years.

I'm hoping that with the food and exercise tracker and the community support from this site I will be able to lose around 130 pounds.

Replies

• MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Welcome to MFP. It's a great website.

I am diabetic (Type I -- among other various health complications), so I can empathize with your struggle. I am also 19 years old, but I am entering my junior year of college.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! :smile: You will succeed.
  • leannelliott
    Options
    thanks! :smile:
  • AmyT88
    AmyT88 Posts: 239
    Options
    I'm also 19 and entering my sophomore year of school in the fall. I'm going to a college in town so I still live at home but I find it much easier to stray from healthy eating when I'm at school because there a few fast food places near by that make it easy to grab food. I made the choice to lose weight this summer so in fall my goal is to keep making good choices, like bringing healthy snacks and lunchs as well as water to school.

I like you never paid attention to portion sizes growing up and I've eaten when I'm bored as well, especially at work. You'll do great with this site as your helper. I've found it is very helpful to read a whole bunch of threads, you never know what kind of information can pop up and be helpfull in one of them. I suggest you check out hungrygirl.com if you haven't already. I have yet to make anything off of there but from what I've looked at it shows ways to enjoy those foods that are usually bad for you, like fried rice.

Best of luck to you. Drink those 8 glasses of water :drinker:
  • sineadm09
    sineadm09 Posts: 113
    Options
    welcome :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I :heart: it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • leannelliott
    Options
    thank you! I do already love it! I'm getting my mom set up with her account tonight! And thank you for the best wishes! It means a lot :happy:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Okay young lady, you are committed now! If I can do this at 53, you should rock this! Welcome and never give up again. Just make " I love me more than I love _____________" fill in the blank, your mantra! It works, don't let anyone tell you how you are depriving yourself, and remember when you start loosing your excess, all sorts of people notice! It feels great! Come on we can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • leannelliott
    Options
    Okay young lady, you are committed now! If I can do this at 53, you should rock this! Welcome and never give up again. Just make " I love me more than I love _____________" fill in the blank, your mantra! It works, don't let anyone tell you how you are depriving yourself, and remember when you start loosing your excess, all sorts of people notice! It feels great! Come on we can do this! :flowerforyou:

Thanks it means a lot :happy: and I love the "I love me more than I love _____________" statement! i'll definitly be using that :bigsmile:
  • TobieGirl
    TobieGirl Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to MyFitnessPal, too. I joined earlier today.
    I've tried many different things in the past...but this time I'm hoping I came to the right spot. I need motivation and encouragement.

Can we keep eachother motivated and on track?

241700.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • leannelliott
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to MyFitnessPal, too. I joined earlier today.
    I've tried many different things in the past...but this time I'm hoping I came to the right spot. I need motivation and encouragement.

Can we keep eachother motivated and on track?

Yes! I'd love that!