Getting sick when you're trying to get healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Viruses and colds are always around you You get sick when your immune system is weakened. You may have weakened your immune system by over exercising and under eating? Are you eating at least to your BMR?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In RE to my immune system, I had the same question some time ago...I was eating a lot better...getting all of my vitamins from my food...lots of produce, etc. Thought my immune system should have been much improved. After being sick a few times I told my Dr. about my concerns and had some blood work done...turns out I was extremely Vitamin D deficient. I've been on 5,000 IU of Viatmin D ever since in addition to my nutritious diet and haven't been sick since...meanwhile everyone around me has been dropping like flies all winter.

You may want to see if you are Vitamin D deficient...it's hard to make up for that particular deficiency with diet alone and can definitely lead to a compromised immune system. I also agree with the other poster who said to try and get as much nutrition as possible from your food. I've completely gotten rid of my multi-vitamin at this point and get everything (except my Vitamin D) from food...I think it makes a difference.
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    I've found that if I workout outside I get sick. I can't breathe in the cold air ... I'll start coughing, then a sore throat, then a full blown sinus infection or bronchitis sets in. I take 2 Claritin a day for allergies. When I start to get sick I take Zicam and I think it helps. It's just Zinc, but I don't know the proper dosage for zinc so I just do Zicam