Children

vickyclare96
vickyclare96 Posts: 124 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
I have a friend who is also on this website and her child is doing the diet with her without doing this website but following the same food. I am worried about her child because I am not sure whether 1200 cals is enough for someone still growing.. If this is too little how much do you think she should be eating?
She is 5ft 8 and i think around 175 pounds... (age 12)

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    that is a really good question...

i want to take a guess, but it is uneducated. i know for my height, i'm 5'10 and my weight, 140, for me to just maintain it would be 1800 cals. however, i am 23, pretty much full grown! maybe if the child just cut out all junk from their diet? like 1600 cals? i dunno, someone will make a better estimate than i could.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    I would be curious to hear that answer.... my advice would be to consult a physician, they are going to know the best (might get an answer from someone who has already asked their pediatrician about their child?!).
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    There is nothing wrong with the child eating the same foods as long as if she is still hungry she is still able to eat more. I firmly believe that children have a internal food "thermostat" they will stop when full and eat when hungry. It is our job as parents to allow that to work, not to force them to eat more or less.

I more worry about self esteem issues and body image with a teen who is dieting. Mypyramid.gov recommends a 2000 calorie diet (as it does with me too) but I think the best place to look would be the pediatrician. If the diet is balanced (lots of fruit and vegies, whole grains and lean proteins) there shouldn't be much problem as long as she is allowed to eat when hungry!
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    No!!! 1200 calories is no where nearly enough! A healthy 12 year old girl needs about 1800 calories. I would not go lower than 1600 and would maintain fat calories at a minimum of 35%. There is so much going on with the body at this age and it's very common for girls to pack on a few or more puberty pounds.

If it were my daughter, I would keep her at 1800 calories and just make sure that they are good, healthy calories and increase her activity level. Not only is 1200 calories not physically healthy, I don't think it's a good thing for a girl this age mentally either.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    that is a really good question...

i want to take a guess, but it is uneducated. i know for my height, i'm 5'10 and my weight, 140, for me to just maintain it would be 1800 cals. however, i am 23, pretty much full grown! maybe if the child just cut out all junk from their diet? like 1600 cals? i dunno, someone will make a better estimate than i could.

From what I learned in my nutrition class she would need more than 1200 calories especially given her height. 12 years old is part of the puberty years so she also needs a little more fat stores so that her body has the energy to deal with the growth spurts. Cutting out the junk is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Not eating enough calories at her age could actually slow down her metabolism and basal metabolic rate which means she burns less calories than if she is eating more calories from the right foods. It isn't so much about how much you eat, as what you eat.

I have found this site useful for my 11 year old because she doesn't eat enough calories and it helps her keep track of it so she makes sure she gets enough in a day.

This isn't medical advice of course, just what I have learned at University in Nutrition class.

Here is a web site that I found directed at teens to do with nutrition. This link is regarding metabolism and BMR: http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/body_basics/metabolism.html

I hope that helps,
    Tammy
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    I have a sister-in-law at 5'8 and she's losing weight on 2000 calories!
  • maurierose

She must be exercising, or has an active lifestyle :o)
  • hiddensecant

She must be exercising, or has an active lifestyle :o)

Exercises of course, but we're talking about a 12-year-old vs. a grown adult. She needs a lot more than 1200, even if she's trying to lose weight.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    My daughter is 14, 5'7, 150'ish, and she's doing MFP as well. 1200 calories is what's recommended for her here. I just checked at this site: http://pediatrics.about.com/library/bl_calorie_calc.htm and it says she needs 1800 calories if she has a sedentary lifestyle, so I really don't know.
  • BrendaLee
    I firmly believe that children have a internal food "thermostat" they will stop when full and eat when hungry.

Not true for all children, and certainly easily put out of whack by years of overeating.
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    I firmly believe that children have a internal food "thermostat" they will stop when full and eat when hungry.

Not true for all children, and certainly easily put out of whack by years of overeating.

This is true. Most children, especiallly young children, have this great talent for eating only the bare minimum (much to the distress of some moms), but a 12-year-old is cruising toward adulthood. And if she is struggling with her weight, she has possibly lost her ability to interpret her hunger/full sensation.

However, this is not a time in a girl's life for dieting (notable calorie restriction, forced *exercise*, etc). If my daughter was struggling with her weight, I would emphasize activity and increase her fruits & veggies, lean proteins, etc, WITHOUT EVER MENTIONING HER WEIGHT. If my child's weight bothered her, I would just encourage her "that it will all even out in the end" while I did some behind the scenes work (i.e. lots of trips to the park, lots of fruits and veggies, etc)

Mom's job is to provide healthy foods, limit tv & video games (and other downtime activities besides reading), and emphasize the truth that cakes, cookies, candy are special treats for special times. Girls this age will still imitate mom (though she is probably trying to make some decisions on her own) so if the mom's diet is well-rounded, the children will usually follow suit. It is mom's job to provide healthy food, but the child can take control deciding what of those foods they will eat, and how much. This gives both parties control while maintaining the health of the child.

So back to the original question. No, I don't believe this is not enough calories for a 12-year-old girl. I do not believe she should restrict calories at all -- at least not consciously. If she is provided healthy foods, calories and fat are naturally reduced.

However, the person who is and will be deciding this is the girl's mother. I am a past child's nutrition educator, but seriously, who am I to debate what this child should or should not be doing? Kudos to her mother for doing SOMETHING, and only she knows her daughter and her family's best interests.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    My daughter is 14, 5'7, 150'ish, and she's doing MFP as well. 1200 calories is what's recommended for her here. I just checked at this site: http://pediatrics.about.com/library/bl_calorie_calc.htm and it says she needs 1800 calories if she has a sedentary lifestyle, so I really don't know.

I would listen to the pediatric website then make sure she gets out of the house more or at least up her calories to 1500 which is her BMR. That just my opinion though.
  • maurierose
    Exercises of course, but we're talking about a 12-year-old vs. a grown adult. She needs a lot more than 1200, even if she's trying to lose weight.

I agree!!! One of the biggest things we did was to cut out most sodas, koolaid, fast food, excessive candy, etc (note I said most... not all.... lol) We try to keep a gallon of caffeine-free iced tea in the fridge for anyone who gets tired of drinking water. Our teens have gotten slimmer, and it's a good feeling to be doing something positive for our family that hasn't taken a whole lot of effort. I'm a firm believer in cutting out the junk and adding a little fun activity, even if it's family tag or soccer in our backyard after the sun has gone down and it's finally cooler. Our teens also walk to/from school, which helps too....
  • maurierose

This is true. Most children, especiallly young children, have this great talent for eating only the bare minimum (much to the distress of some moms), but a 12-year-old is cruising toward adulthood. And if she is struggling with her weight, she has possibly lost her ability to interpret her hunger/full sensation.

However, this is not a time in a girl's life for dieting (notable calorie restriction, forced *exercise*, etc). If my daughter was struggling with her weight, I would emphasize activity and increase her fruits & veggies, lean proteins, etc, WITHOUT EVER MENTIONING HER WEIGHT. If my child's weight bothered her, I would just encourage her "that it will all even out in the end" while I did some behind the scenes work (i.e. lots of trips to the park, lots of fruits and veggies, etc)

Mom's job is to provide healthy foods, limit tv & video games (and other downtime activities besides reading), and emphasize the truth that cakes, cookies, candy are special treats for special times. Girls this age will still imitate mom (though she is probably trying to make some decisions on her own) so if the mom's diet is well-rounded, the children will usually follow suit. It is mom's job to provide healthy food, but the child can take control deciding what of those foods they will eat, and how much. This gives both parties control while maintaining the health of the child.

So back to the original question. No, I don't believe this is not enough calories for a 12-year-old girl. I do not believe she should restrict calories at all -- at least not consciously. If she is provided healthy foods, calories and fat are naturally reduced.

However, the person who is and will be deciding this is the girl's mother. I am a past child's nutrition educator, but seriously, who am I to debate what this child should or should not be doing? Kudos to her mother for doing SOMETHING, and only she knows her daughter and her family's best interests.

*claps*
    Very well said.
  • hiddensecant

She is already at a healthy BMI. And at 14, she can easily grow a few inches, bumping her BMI even lower.

While it's great that she wants to take charge of her intake, she shouldn't be at a deficit right now. You don't want to short-change her metabolism at this point. If she's not happy with body composition, she needs more activity and not less food.
  • BrendaLee

She is already at a healthy BMI. And at 14, she can easily grow a few inches, bumping her BMI even lower.

While it's great that she wants to take charge of her intake, she shouldn't be at a deficit right now. You don't want to short-change her metabolism at this point. If she's not happy with body composition, she needs more activity and not less food.

We both check in regularly with our doctor, and she's fine with Megan losing a little weight as she carries her weight around the middle which is the unhealthiest place to carry it. We've never specifically discussed her calorie intake- we'll have to do that Wednesday when we see the doc. She's already increased her activity greatly. She often goes over her MFP recommended calories- it's good to know she's probably allowed to have a few more hundred calories. :)

Just be thankful she's doing this the healthy way with my and our doctor's supervision.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member

We both check in regularly with our doctor, and she's fine with Megan losing a little weight as she carries her weight around the middle which is the unhealthiest place to carry it. We've never specifically discussed her calorie intake- we'll have to do that Wednesday when we see the doc. She's already increased her activity greatly. She often goes over her MFP recommended calories- it's good to know she's probably allowed to have a few more hundred calories. :)

Just be thankful she's doing this the healthy way with my and our doctor's supervision.

But it's not healthy if she is not getting the nutrition she needs. Eating the lower calorie count could be short changing her in the nutrition.
    I am glad you are going to talk with her DR. Then make the decision on what is right for her. Kids like adults have differerent activity levels so what one might need might not be the same as the next one.
  • hiddensecant

Losing weight and becoming active is one thing. A 1200 calorie diet for a 14 year old is another.

While the BMR on FMP is about 1500, it can easily be in the 2000 range just because she's still growing. And if it is about there or higher, we're talking about an 800+ calorie deficit!

I'm glad she's eating more than MFP recommends. I hope the doc can give you a more exact number to work with soon.
  • BrendaLee

Losing weight and becoming active is one thing. A 1200 calorie diet for a 14 year old is another.

While the BMR on FMP is about 1500, it can easily be in the 2000 range just because she's still growing. And if it is about there or higher, we're talking about an 800+ calorie deficit!

I'm glad she's eating more than MFP recommends. I hope the doc can give you a more exact number to work with soon.

Guys, no offense, but I didn't ask for advice, and this isn't my question. I was just replying to the original asker. I already said we'd be speaking with our doctor. Enough now. :)
  • hiddensecant
    how much do you think she should be eating?
    She is 5ft 8 and i think around 175 pounds... (age 12)

No less than 1600 calories and even that could be low if she's exercising.
This discussion has been closed.