How to measure Protein powder

Options
Hi,
A stupid question but I am really confused here with the weighing of Protein powders.
I am having protein shakes from couple of years but I have always got different scoop size in all the different proteins and on the box they talk about 30grams or 24grams scoop but the scoop that they provide says 70ml or 60cc etc etc

whats the way of measuring the grams from those scoops?

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Please :huh:
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    do you have a food scale? you could meaure how much in grams fits in one scoop... then you will know how many grams is in the 70 ml ir 60 cc
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you use the phone app, you could scan the bar code on the label, and then it would match the particular scoop that you're using for that shake. Good luck sweetie!:flowerforyou:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sorry, it looks like your only option here is to weight the powder. (I have done this a few times before I finally dug out the scoop.) I assume that the scoop in a can matches the "one serving" description on the bottle, but it wouldn't hurt to measure it to be sure. Put the scoop on the scale, zero it out, them fill the scoop and measure again, that'll tell you how much powder is in the scoop.

Or if you want to skip the silly scoop all together, zero out the scale with your cup on it, then add powder until it reaches the serving size.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    A stupid question but I am really confused here with the weighing of Protein powders.
    I am having protein shakes from couple of years but I have always got different scoop size in all the different proteins and on the box they talk about 30grams or 24grams scoop but the scoop that they provide says 70ml or 60cc etc etc

whats the way of measuring the grams from those scoops?

Sorry, I should add that grams is a weight measurement of a solid substance, and ml or cc is a way to measure the mass of liquids. What is probably happening is that the maker of the protien powder is using a scooper that is the proper size for the grams, but the scooper is labeled for liquid for some reason.

Solids that take up the same amount of space often weigh VERY different amounts-- think of flour, sugar, sand, dirt, WET dirt, whatever. That's why weight is the best measure of solid powdery things. But the amount of space a liquid takes up-- 1 cup, 100ml, whatever-- is usually accurate enough for home kitchen use. Since you're not measuing liquid, it doens't matter and it's only confusing.

Anyways once you confirm that the scoop gives you the right weight serving size you'll be fine.

Science...
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem but it seems pretty simple...

The protein powder I use (EAS Chocolate Whey) just recently switched their serving size and scoop size, but I found that the nutrition facts label on the back indicated the change.

So for example, the previous scoop size was:

1 scoop = 1 serving (30g) = 23g of protein.

The new serving size is :

2 scoops = 1 serving (39g) = 26g of protein

So just follow the serving size on the label and you don't have to worry about how much the scoop holds versus the weight of the powder. Hope this helps!
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    Ohh sure it helped!
    thanks a lot guys :flowerforyou:
  • SmudgerSmithRhino
    Options
    Hi, if it is any use the protein I use comes with a 70cc scoop. A full scoop of protein powder is 28g.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    Ah I am so glad that I posted this question .. looks like I was having half the quantity and pretending its a 30grams powder :)
    thanku thanku thanku :drinker:
    so the scoop that comes in the box is actually the same amount that they list on the nutritional info..
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you have digital scales?
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    @mfp_1 : no I don't :(
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I recommend you get digital scales. You can get them for as little as £10 at Argos
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/DIGITAL+SCALES.htm

Asda
    http://direct.asda.com/Scales/203153,default,sc.html?psortb1=price&psortd1=1

or almost anywhere. Don't get one with a bowl or jug. You just need a flat platform to accept large things like a plate.

It's much more accurate to go by weight rather than volume. You don't have to weigh everything but once you own them you'd be surprised at how convenient they are. They help you make great desserts where accuracy makes a big difference. Yum yum.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    I recommend you get digital scales. You can get them for as little as £10 at Argos
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/DIGITAL+SCALES.htm

Asda
    http://direct.asda.com/Scales/203153,default,sc.html?psortb1=price&psortd1=1

or almost anywhere. Don't get one with a bowl or jug. You just need a flat platform to accept large things like a plate.

It's much more accurate to go by weight rather than volume. You don't have to weigh everything but once you own them you'd be surprised at how convenient they are. They help you make great desserts where accuracy makes a big difference. Yum yum.
    WOW!
    thats great help.. thanks I would have to buy a digital scale I guess :ohwell:
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    I am gonna borrow my frens digital pocket scale this evening and measure the scoop :D
  • weijun5
    weijun5 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I am having the same problem as well. Turns out that when I scanned the barcode on myfitnesspal, they said it's 45g for one scoop (60cc), but at the back of the package it says 1 and a half scoop is 45g, can someone clear this doubt for me?

Thanks.
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would buy and use a digital scale simply because it's a powder, like flour or powdered sugar. If you dig the scoop down into a powder, you're getting more in the scoop because the powder is being compacted. On the other hand, if you use a spoon to add powder to the scoop, or if you just kind of let the powder fall in (like when the jar's nearly empty), you're getting less in your scoop because it's not compacted.

It probably doesn't make THAT much difference, but I like to be accurate when I can.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always weigh mine now. 1 scoop is supposed to be 28g but when I weighed a packed scoop it was only 24g's.
  • awchalmers79
    Options
    Great folks...

my 'heaped' 70 ml scoop will give me 28g of protein according to the stats on the protein packaging.

I am pretty fit (not athlete fit), probably more 10 k jog fit and gym fit. I weigh 165.4 lbs and I have to take 0.45 grams of protein per lbs of body weight I have.

This means that I need to take 75 grams per day according to a PHD from America (I'm from Scotland, land of the fat and deep fried mars bars).

The scoops I take (2 heaped per day), give me roughly 60 grams. I reckon I make the rest (10 gram deficit) up in meals, nutty snacks and lunches.

I hope this helps.

Of course, I go and make a complete balls of it all at the weekend via alcohol and not taking my shakes. BOOOO!!!! :(
  • awchalmers79
    Options
    Hey,

I use 'Impact whey diet protein' from myprotein.com... I am given the following....

my 'heaped' 70 ml scoop will give me 28g of protein according to the stats on the protein packaging.

I am pretty fit (not athlete fit), probably more 10 k jog fit and gym fit. I weigh 165.4 lbs and I have to take 0.45 grams of protein per lbs of body weight I have.

This means that I need to take 75 grams per day according to a PHD from America (I'm from Scotland, land of the fat and deep fried mars bars).

BUT BUT BUT, exercise nearly double your requirements, therefore I need to take at least: 120 grams per day.

I hope this helps.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wow, yes you've just reminded me of the horror of these commercially available protein supplements......do a search for Muscle Tech in the database.....there is like 1000 different entries, with all different sizes, and different calorie counts......it's HORRIBLE logging the nutition facts from the app, since I use the bar code scanner, it usually chooses one of the wrong entries.....and If I search again, there's like a thousand other wrong entries to choose from, so I end up just added a new entry like everyone else......MFP staff seriously need to prune the database, of say all entries older than 6 months......since these companies seem to be changing their formulas so often......even I checked Sam's Club, their product has different nutrition values than the ones sold at Walmart......etc......kinda crazy.

Anyways, back on topic and /endrant, the best way to measure the whey protein is a food scale, preferably digital......unless you have a really good manual scale ;) I too have noticed, a "level scoop" of Body Fortress, does not come to the grams total, that is notated on the container.....I usually have to add a little bit more to hit the 42 gram mark on my scale.

Also, when you buy your scale, it's important that it does .1 increments......and has a TARE button, TARE essnetially allows you to zero out the weight.......I got a glass base scale, that allows me to put my shaker directly onto the scale, I then TARE it to zero, then add my protein powder, then TARE it, and add my chia seed, and so on.....so it's damn near accurate.