Lifting Gloves for Women

Options
auroranflash
auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
Yo,

I wanted to get some gloves so I stop getting callouses when I do the row machine (or lifting, which I'm trying to do more of), but 24 Hr Fitness only has a few selections, and most of the women's gloves are pink -___-

Amazon has quite a few to offer, but I figured I'd consult my MFPals. Any suggestions?

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY FIRST BLISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    **looks at palms....sits down and waits to take notes**
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend buying anything that you couldn't try on and make sure you like how they fit you and how sturdy they feel, etc.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I got femme fitale and honestly, while they are cute (femme fitale) I am still getting calluses, so they obviously aren't working that well.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    go to Big 5, or a sporting goods store. They will have a bigger selection, and will be cheaper than the ones available at the gym.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking about getting gloves lately. I like my soft lady hands... but they aren't so soft anymore.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    I agree go to a store and try them on. I prefer Harbinger's myself but each brand will fit a little different for each person.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This company has great gloves and they are cute too! They fit my hand well and are not too thick so I can still feel the bar. The closure is not regular velcro so it doesn't snag on everything. I haven't had any issues with calluses.

http://www.femmefitalefitness.com/
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I got a pair at Walmart that are working fine for me. They are all black and made by Gold's Gym.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have harbingers, also really like their lifting straps for dead lifts.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have Harbingers, my hubby didn't like my rough hands, I think gloves have messed with my grip strength though so I may ditch them and hubby can deal!

:heart: Sass
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll probably head to Academy after work and try some on. Maybe pick up some new cross-trainers, too :devil:

I really don't mind the callouses, I'm not a girly girl - but I imagine from my BF's perspective, it might make things a little... uh.... scratchy? :heart:

Love y'all!
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If it is specifically callouses you are trying to prevent then gloves may not be the answer.

Callouses are caused by the way you hold the bar;

If you hold the bar in the palm then the likely result is the bar moving towards your fingers scrunching up the skin and causing the callouses;

If you hold the bar where these callouses usually form then this will be alleviated.

There is a good video on YouTube by Mark Rippetoe demonstrating this but unfortunately I can't find it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have harbingers, also really like their lifting straps for dead lifts.

I think mine are harbingers too. They are black but have a tiny pink breast cancer ribbon.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    walmart plain black golds gym done deal :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering about gloves myself! One of my blisters popped while doing knee raises on the bar yesterday. T_T
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If it is specifically callouses you are trying to prevent then gloves may not be the answer.

Callouses are caused by the way you hold the bar;

If you hold the bar in the palm then the likely result is the bar moving towards your fingers scrunching up the skin and causing the callouses;

If you hold the bar where these callouses usually form then this will be alleviated.

There is a good video on YouTube by Mark Rippetoe demonstrating this but unfortunately I can't find it.

I've read that, so I tried holding the dumbbells (in my case) the proper way but am having a hard time holding it that way. I think it's because my hand are too small or my fingers are too short. Any thoughts?
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got some fairly inexpesive ones at Canadian Tire in Canada. They were around $14.99. Check bicycling shops also. They wear gloves too.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree go to a store and try them on. I prefer Harbinger's myself but each brand will fit a little different for each person.

I have harbinger's and they're ok. I've had them since December and probably use them 3-5 times a week. They started stretching out and have a hold in them (this prob happened a couple months ago) so idk how great they are. Also, b/c I switch

I'm going to get new ones somewhat soon..would like some opinions on a new brand!
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I really like my Versa Grips. They aren't gloves, but do protect my hands. I've tried several different pairs and find that gloves are uncomfortable for me.