At a crossroads

Options
So, I've been here since June and once again I'm back here wondering why I haven't reached my goals yet. Some days I'm really motivated to wanting to loose weight and I see my friends loosing weight and wonder why I can't do that. Other days, I am happy where my body is at and I think I don't need to loose any more weight. Reasons why I feel I should are because my friends are loosing weight, certain clothes that used to fit me before don't fit me the same way now and I wanna look better in a bikini. Reasons why I feel I don't need to loose weight are when I look in the mirror I do feel I have a nice shape and I don't need to loose weight to become more beautiful or even healthier because I am already healthy. What gets me down is when I go on the "I need to loose weight" track, if I step off track by eating sweets or over eating on the weekends--which tends to happen, I get down on myself and think "If my friends can loose 20lbs, why can't I? because I over eat" and it just goes in this circle and I end up just over eating more. Yea, my friends who lose 20lbs were overweight and unhealthy which is not the place I'm in so that is a difference. It just makes me feel bad and I feel upset when I can't loose weight like they can.

Any advice you guys have out there as far as where I should go next is appreciated. I'm just at a cross roads here and I'm thinking maybe the reason why I'm not loosing weight is because I'm not that motivated to loose it like others are but idk. I'm open to any suggestions :)

Replies

• va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to focus less on the number on the scale (i.e. losing weight) and more on toning/strengthening. The number on the scale may not change that drastically...and may even stay the same or go up, but your clothes will fit better and you will feel better/healthier overall.

Of course, that's just a stab in the dark since your profile contains little information about your body/body type other than your weight.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Is there another goal you can set for yourself? Like a 5k/10k/half marathon or a sport or something like that so you are making trackable progress with something that isn't directly weight related? That would make you motivational for your friends too.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I too would suggest not comparing yourself to others. That is a trap we all fall into. Work hard, get fit, have fun and learn to love your body, not compare to someone else. The number on the scale is not the only thing to be concerned about. Take care and best of luck!
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Maybe you need to focus less on the number on the scale (i.e. losing weight) and more on toning/strengthening. The number on the scale may not change that drastically...and may even stay the same or go up, but your clothes will fit better and you will feel better/healthier overall.

Agreed. I haven't lost much in terms of weight, but I have been noticing myself becoming leaner and more toned instead. Clothes fit much better, and I feel wonderful. I also enjoy sweets knowing that I have exercised enough to "earn" it. I don't care about the number on the scale... in fact I haven't even jumped on a scale in weeks.