Foods you hated as a kid

Options

Replies

• threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Red bell peppers and raw tomatoes. I am still not at "tomato sandwich" level, but I can tolerate them.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have foods I didn't like when I was young but am now ok with, and some that I did eat when I was little and now won't touch.

Foods I like now: Broccoli (as long as there's dip), but only raw, cooked carrots, oranges, radishes, beets, pineapple, peaches, ok, basically all fruit now, except I always liked pears. ham, corn, peppers, oatmeal, sugar snap peas, edamame, veggie burgers & other morning star foods, jello, mustard, pickles, marshmallows, I was a very very picky child. Basically ate sugary cereal, toasted cheese, and mac & cheese. Never did like bananas though, still don't.

Food I used to eat but now won't touch: fish sticks, onion rings, beef (even if it's in hot dogs). I love the smell of fish sticks and onion rings, but I will not eat them (and not because they are unhealthy versions of healthy food. I am not a fish fan and hate onions. Cooked onions look like worms. bleck!)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    yep for me it was cooked carrots.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    spinach, squash, and asparegus
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How has no one said onions and/or fish yet?!? I hated them as a kid and still hate them today! Raw or cooked, they're just terrible.... but a food that I hated as a kid but now love.. avocados! Mmmmm :)

I just did. :smile: I will eat tilapia, that's about it. and absolutely no onions. not even green onions or vidalias.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Let's see... avocado, strawberries, any berries, actually, tomatoes (raw), mushrooms, asparagus... maybe a few others. I wasn't a particularly picky kid, but I had a few things I just wouldn't eat. Now I LOVE mushroom, avocado, and asparagus. Berries and I are slowly warming up, and I'm starting to get more on board with raw tomatoes too.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I used to hate mushrooms but now I love them!

this
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    spinach, broccoli, greens, string beans, peas, mushrooms, eggs, oatmeal, and the list goes on. Now I love those all of them
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As a kid I didn't like oatmeal, porridge, onions, cooked cabbage, or squash. Now I LOVE squash, but still can't eat the rest. Onions are the bane of my existence. I've taken to referring to my dislike as an allergy because I vomit if I happen to get even a tiny sliver. It makes restaurant dining interesting. Luckily, my other half doesn't like them either.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Onions, carrots, and tomatoes, I now love the first 2 and can tolerate the 3 depending on how I'm eating it.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce. I would only eat buttered noodles. Now I smash the *kitten* outta some homemade spaghetti no questions asked. Still enjoy the occasional buttered noodles though :drinker:
  • itsmejosie81
    Options
    HATED MUSHROOMS.....LOVE THEM NOW. OH AND COTTAGE CHEESE!!!
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    I too hated spinach, green beans, onions, bell peppers, fish, and crazy as it may seem, milk. I still dont like green beans unless they're in something. Love 'wm in stuff. Oh and mayo! I still hate it to this day!:sick:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Nearly any vegetable, because it was canned. Now I love all fresh veggies, but still hate canned. Especially canned peas and spinach, which I love fresh.
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i hated onions, mushrooms, and peppers as a kid. raw, cooked, whatever. hated them. i'd scoop the filling out of my mom's stuffed peppers, and the only mushrooms i'd eat were pickled. fast forward to now, onions and mushrooms are favorites, i go through about 2-3 lbs of onions a week (mostly cooked, some raw), mushrooms pop up in at least 2 dishes a week, and peppers are always in the house for salads, snacking, and cooking.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I ate just about anything set before me but I really loathed lima beans, blackeyed peas, really didn't care for any beans in general. Still don't.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce. I would only eat buttered noodles. Now I smash the *kitten* outta some homemade spaghetti no questions asked. Still enjoy the occasional buttered noodles though :drinker:

Sounds like me as a kid too, and now I make a mean sauce! My Dad taught me how, and I LOVE it! My Daughter is a buttered noodle fiend!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    almost every fruit and veggie... especially apples, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes. i also wasn't as fond of nuts, peanut butter (i was a weird kid..)
    and i very rarely ate breakfast (partly because it would make me feel nauseous)
    now, i HAVE to have a good breakfast or i'm a Grumpy-Gus for the rest of the day!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've always hated the majority of vegetables and still can't stand salads because lettuce tastes like grass to me (and before anyone asks, I have eaten grass, I had a horrible chewing habit as a child and would chew blades of grass when I didn't have gum or straws) but I warmed up to spinach after learning that's what was in a soup I used to get all the time from some restaurant. Also love pumpkin pie now, I always liked the smell because of the nutmeg but I couldn't get past the other flavors.

Can stomach swiss cheese now, lemons... I'm sure there's more. I was a picky eater as a child.
  • get_sexxxy_shanni
    get_sexxxy_shanni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Two things I hated when I was a kid that I have very recently given a second chance and am now obsessed with: sun dried tomatoes and black olives. I only used to eat tomatoes in ketchup and sauce form, and I still hold back barf when I think of biting in to a fresh tomato, but I eat the sun dried tomatoes I buy fresh in the produce section like they were chips.