HRM and Hear rate zone question

cafred
cafred Posts: 27 Member
I just bought a new HRM and have used it twice now. I love the stats it gives after my workout. However, with those stats come questions that I think this community can help me with.

My HR zone is apparently set by my age, weight and sex. Today's workout was cardio and I found that I was just above my zone for a good portion of my workout. Just above means my zone goes up to 151 and I didn't go any higher than 161 but was usually around 154 when I looked. I didn't feel like I was pushing it too hard. So here are my questions:

How important is it to be within this range?
How bad it is to be above?
What are the chances my pre-determined range is wrong for me and how do I find out if it is wrong or what it should really be?

If anyone can help me out, it would be really appreciated! I want to utilize my new tool to maximize my workouts!! :wink:

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    What are the chances my pre-determined range is wrong for me and how do I find out if it is wrong or what it should really be?
    Almost 100% likely that the predetermined range is wrong. It's based on statistical data extrapolated from clinical studies. It's using an algorithm to determine your max HR. The question is "how wrong". For many people it won't be too far out, for some it could be quite a way. It's a good starting point though and you can always observe actuals and progress and adjust it accordingly, but I think its key to bear the above in mind.

I'd recommend some research on HR zone training. There's a lot of resources out there and it'll take a bit of time to get through.

There are also a number of different HR zone theories postulated. The one I like to use is:
    Recovery 60%-70%
    Aerobic 70%-80% [e.g. a slow paced jog]
    Anaerobic 80%-90% [e.g. a quick jog - most people can't sustain this for more than 30-60mins]
    VO2 Max 90%-100% [e.g. HIIT sprints]

%'s being of Max HR

Ignoring recovery, the other 3 zones all contribute to your overall fitness, but stress you in different ways. So if your intention is to really develop your endurance, say for a marathon you'd want to be training in the Aerobic zone. Over time you'll get faster and faster but without an increase in HR. That said, you'll also get benefit from some training in the other zones too. There's more to this than I can do justice here.

Further reading:
    http://www.running-world.net/heart_rate_training_zones_2.php

But to the crux of your question, which if I might rephrase:
    "my HRM has a default zone, should I stay in that and is my HRM accurate about my max HR?"

Kinda depends on the zone it's set and what you are trying to achieve, but if it's like my Polar FT4 then I ignore it totally as it straddles the aerobic and anaerobic zones and I tend to train in just one at a time.

On the question of calculating max HR, take it as a start point and incorporate some interval training or do some sprints during your workout once thoroughly warmed up - anything that pushes you hard. If you ever see the HR go over 100% then clearly it's got the wrong max for you. You can change it my lying about your age :-)
  • cafred
    cafred Posts: 27 Member
    Almost 100% likely that the predetermined range is wrong. It's based on statistical data extrapolated from clinical studies. It's using an algorithm to determine your max HR. The question is "how wrong". For many people it won't be too far out, for some it could be quite a way. It's a good starting point though and you can always observe actuals and progress and adjust it accordingly, but I think its key to bear the above in mind.

I'd recommend some research on HR zone training. There's a lot of resources out there and it'll take a bit of time to get through.

There are also a number of different HR zone theories postulated. The one I like to use is:
    Recovery 60%-70%
    Aerobic 70%-80% [e.g. a slow paced jog]
    Anaerobic 80%-90% [e.g. a quick jog - most people can't sustain this for more than 30-60mins]
    VO2 Max 90%-100% [e.g. HIIT sprints]

%'s being of Max HR

Ignoring recovery, the other 3 zones all contribute to your overall fitness, but stress you in different ways. So if your intention is to really develop your endurance, say for a marathon you'd want to be training in the Aerobic zone. Over time you'll get faster and faster but without an increase in HR. That said, you'll also get benefit from some training in the other zones too. There's more to this than I can do justice here.

Further reading:
    http://www.running-world.net/heart_rate_training_zones_2.php

But to the crux of your question, which if I might rephrase:
    "my HRM has a default zone, should I stay in that and is my HRM accurate about my max HR?"

Kinda depends on the zone it's set and what you are trying to achieve, but if it's like my Polar FT4 then I ignore it totally as it straddles the aerobic and anaerobic zones and I tend to train in just one at a time.

On the question of calculating max HR, take it as a start point and incorporate some interval training or do some sprints during your workout once thoroughly warmed up - anything that pushes you hard. If you ever see the HR go over 100% then clearly it's got the wrong max for you. You can change it my lying about your age :-)

Wow, lots of info to digest. Thank you so much!! I might have more questions after I think this over!