The Master Cleanse Detox

Options
Hello all,

I have been doing some research on a detox diet called the Master Cleanse, which is a combination of organic lemon juice, Grade B Maple Syrup, and cayenne pepper. You drink the combintation 6-8 times a day, along with a laxative tea in the morning and at night. You do not eat anything. The diet can be followed for a minimum of 10 days, but you can follow it for as long as forty days if wanted. I really would like to detox my body, because I want to start on a raw foods diet. I personally will only do it for the 10 days. My question is, has anyone ever done this detox, and if so, how was it for you? I have read both negative and positive things about it, but personal experience would be better to hear. I know you have to eat and drink certain things coming off the diet as well. If anyone could give me some insight into the Master Cleanse I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's a topic that has been beaten to death on this site. do a search on master cleanse and you'll find plenty of posts. No need to start a new one IMHO.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    it's a topic that has been beaten to death on this site. do a search on master cleanse and you'll find plenty of posts. No need to start a new one IMHO.

He's right. Most of what you'll get is: people who have done it and love it, people that think it's unnecessary and stupid, and people that tried and couldn't last.

The medical community says it's unnecessary. However, there have been no clinical studies on the actual effects of a detox (any detox) on the human boday that I know of. So what they say is a logical assumption based upon current medical knowledge.
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks, i guess i will just try it, and see for myself. Sorry to post something that has been already brought up.
  • Scottslass
    Scottslass Posts: 76
    Options
    I watched a program about this very thing last night. (in Scotland) Apparently it is not very good for your health

:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Bella, if I may, I would say only this, do lots of research before you try this diet, it's pretty extreme, I would speak to an RD or at least a Doctor before trying it or any diet that severely restricts caloric intake.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Bella,

Don't be put off so quickly. There is a search on the site so you can look up past discussions. There are a lot of people on this site that are educated and working in fields to do with nutrition, diet etc. I would highly recommend reading the other posts and checking out the backgrounds of the people that post.

I, myself, cannot see how this would benefit your body. If you are looking to eat clean, that will detox your body for you.
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks all,

I did go check out the other posts on the Master Cleanse- I don't think I am going to do it. Glad I recieved all this info before I started anything. I can find other ways to detox my body that don't involve starvation.