Bad Knees

So, my husband has joined me on the quest to get fit. He is tracking his food and joined the gym. He has also started playing in a 35+ men's wooden bat baseball league. The biggest obstacle (other than the huffing and puffing just to reach second base) is his knees. They cause him a great deal of pain most of the time - especially after running. He adores playing ball and has always wanted to run a marathon some day, so obviously this is an obstacle he desperately wants to overcome . . .

Can anyone offer recommendations on exercises he can do to strengthen them and any kind of support devices he can wear while becoming more active? Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• BishopSmurf
    BishopSmurf Posts: 35 Member
    ^^^ Very interested to hear some advice on this.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    I think it really depends on the level of pain in the knees, what type of pain it is or if there is any history of injuries to the knee.

My knees are hosed. I couldn't run if my life depended on it (ok maybe if it depended on it. lol). If the pain is really bad and lasts a dr visit may be in the works to get it diagnosed. But that being said some of the excercises that I have been given for physio are designed to strengthen the area around the knee and other areas.

Alot of the excercises here (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363) are ones that have been prescribed to me. Clamshells. (http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/04/the-hip-external-rotation-clamshell-exercise.html)

Other people have luck with compression knee braces. But again really depends on the type of pain.

Hope this helps or gives some ideas. Knee pain is a hard thing to put up with while staying active.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    THANK YOU!!! :smile: Any insight at all is helpful and much appreciated.
  • bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    I broke my left knee a few years ago so it can hurt really bad at times. I usually use icy hot with a heat bad or if you can afford it a tense unit can be really helpful but a dr has to give it to you. As far as work out I started walking slowly working myself up to do the bike or elliptical. It can still be difficult but it all depend on what he can tolerate in pain. Oh one more thing a knee brace can be helpful as well.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    I have terrible knees, my dad is 53 and needs 2 replacements, and has had multiple knee surgeries. I have dealt with the pain for years but recently they have gone away and I have done several things to fix the problem.

Pay for those high end insoles (like the $50 custom made insoles) they help a lot and are worth every penny, I paid $175 for the set in my snowboard boots.

Take Glucosamine supplements daily - they are formulated to help reduce joint pain.

Try to limit consumption of alcohol - not sure why this is related but after drinking my joints hurt worse.

Google special exercises or talk to a physical therapist for exercises that help knees. Be sure to stretch before and after every physical activity, also the more the muscles in your legs build up with exercise and the more weight you loose the less stresss there will be on your knees.

Lastly there is a known remedy for joint pain that is currently federally illegal, but is legal for medical purposes in some states. Don't buy into the propaganda about this natural herb, a tiny bit every couple days can reduce joint pain long term, i am not recommending anything illegal - just saying if it is an option in your state, do not rule this option out.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Not to be too obvious, but has he seen a sports-medicine DR for a diagnosis? Knowing the actual cause of the pain is a good place to start. Good luck to both of you!