10 Day Fast....

Options
autumnk921
autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
How would you log the calories?

I just watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead finally....Of course it got me thinking about fasting - I have thought about it a lot lately but until I saw the movie I wasn't as motivated til now....I am just wondering how I would input the calories b/c if I am not drinking all of the pulp that would not be the whole fruit or vegetable to count....Any others who have tried juicing know the answers to this or any advice is greatly appreciated & recipes as well....

Also, I am not starting it right away I plan to talk to my doctor before I do & have blood tests, etc. first just in case anyone asks....I am not on a bunch of medications or have any health problems but I would rather be safe than sorry....So, I am going to do it the right way...Also, I am thinking of going to a nutritionist as well that we have out here at our local health dept. Just wanted to fill you in on that. Thanks again for any suggestions for calorie counting!! :)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider just eating fruits and vegetables instead of doing juice. Also if you are going to be working out while on the juice fast you need to add some source of protein to help with the muscles. I don't think it is a good idea to do it, I won't support it, but it is your choice to make, not mine.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer as you know but I don't think I could ever do it although I have thought about it. I like chewing too much and usually while I am juicing, I am eating the veggies at the same time. It does get fruit down me though since I am more of a veggie person. Weight that is really fast to come off is also fast to come back on if you are not careful. Maybe try juicing for shorter periods to start. I still have never seen that movie but I have been thinking about doing a juice fast too because these last few pounds are impossible to get off grrrr.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the movie so I am really just speaking my opinion here -nothing to back it up, just merely my opinion.

I don't think fasting for any length of time is good for the body. As someone else stated if you are exercising then you are going to need protein too. A complete fast seems more of a recipe for disaster than anything.

I did a 24 hour fast a couple of years ago with our church for Easter. All I had was clear liqueds, which I know is different than having juices, but I will tell you it was the most miserable 24 hours!!! I was tired, I was of course hungry, and I was VERY irritable -very! So much so that my husband didn't even ask if I was doing it this year.

I think speaking with a doctor before trying something like this is a smart thing to do. I just have a hard time believing doing a 10 day fast could be good for you or your body -again, this is my opinion.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not doing it. You've been reeled in by a piece of media that, while convincing, isn't scientifically grounded, IMO.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have read all of your advice & 2 of my best MFP friends are on this thread as well...I think I may do what Lara has done b/c like her I do not really like fruit a whole lot...Veggies I love though....I may just use juicing as an additional source of vitamins for fruit & some veggies....Also what everyone else is saying about needing protein - that is the one macro that I do try to make the numbers or go over if possible so I never thought of that....Plus I lift weights & don't want to lose the muscle that I have gained....Like Teena...If I were to do it I may try it for maybe 1, 2 or at most 3 days but that will probably be all that I could handle b/c I wouldn't be able to keep up my protein & my lifting as well....I would feel weak I assume & scared to lift while doing this....

So, thank you ALL so much for your advice & actually as of right now I am going to postpone the fasting...But I do want a juicer just to get some benefits of fruit...I have just NEVER been a fruit eater but this way I can get some that is ALL natural....Thanks again!! :)
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I juice all my fruit except for bananas. I love drinking orange juice, with kiwi, pineapple and sometimes I add apple too. I am not an apple eater at all so it is good to get it down you. It is really good and refreshing especially with the Summer coming soon. Soo good on ice. I would say eating one or 2 meals a day and juice for the rest of the time. Then you can ge your calories in, and at the same time you are clean eating. That way you can get your protein to repair your muscles, and you can feel healthy and lose weight. Fresh juice makes more sense than meal replacement drinks to me!! I have read a lot about juicing. I really believe that anything that requires you to take laxatives cannot be that healthy for you. You will have to take laxatives while juicing only because with a juice fast you will stop being able to go to the bathroom since all the fiber is being taken out of the food. Eating quinoa provides me with a ton of protein as well as fiber in order to keep me regular. I highly recommend it. I usually juice for one meal of my day and I am very happy with the results :). Let me know what juicer you end up getting and how you are liking it. Hugs.