eating protein

Options
eap20mn
eap20mn Posts: 18 Member
so i have been trying to add more protein to my diet but ITS turning out to BE kinda HARD :( I have had to be buying specific products such as kashi go lean, special k protien plus, yogurts with added protein, protein bars that taste like chalk. Is there a cheaper way???? are there normal foods that are just high in protein? has anyone had success at staying fuller longer with protein in thier diet?

Replies

• preussen101
    preussen101 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've just been adjusting my protein versus carbs too, and I have to say that the best foods to reach for are eggs and chicken. Seriously, just go full out and put eggs or chicken in almost everything. I've been replacing canned chicken with real fresh meats from the grocery store because it has significantly less sodium to deal with. I also have some oscar mayer rotisserie chicken slices I'm thinking of making little lunch meat rolls out of with egg and tomato stuffed in them. And protein is always more filling than carbs!
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, chick peas, kidney beans

Beef
    Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
    Chicken
    Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    Drumstick – 11 grams
    Wing – 6 grams
    Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
    Fish
    Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
    Pork
    Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
    Eggs and Dairy
    Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)
    Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Nuts and Seeds
    Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

How much protein do we need?
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    How much protein do we need?
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92

If you strength train you should be eating 1g protein per lb of lean mass (body weight minus fat). Strength training damages muscles, the extra protein is needed for recovery and growth.

If you don't regulary strength train however you don't need nearly that much.

Its kinda funny that the gov't recommends an hour a week strength training for everyone; young, old, male, female, yet protein recommendations from the gov't are based on zero strength training. It is as if they assume everyone is ignoring their advice.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    gosh yes protein keeps me full SO much longer... it's really great for weight loss.

i buy a protein shake from GNC and drink one every morning :) and it tastes like chocolate milk (i have a few other foods with it as well)

some foods you can buy that are high in protein that'll help:
    -unsalted almonds/or other nuts you enjoy
    -greek yogurt (WATCH SUGAR content!!)
    -cottage cheese
    -eggs.... i prefer egg whites from hard boiled eggs (i hate yolk and the yolks have SO much cholesterol)
    -fish
    -chicken breasts
    -luna bars (protein bars for women)

i personally stay away from the red meats as much as i can.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Meat and fish are high in protein. If you are looking for non-meat sources, products made from nuts or beans would be good.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I use Egg white cartons, or tofu
    Hummus
    Lean meats chicken,turkey,fish
    Protein shakes
    Cottage cheese (has tons)
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    so i have been trying to add more protein to my diet but ITS turning out to BE kinda HARD :( I have had to be buying specific products such as kashi go lean, special k protien plus, yogurts with added protein, protein bars that taste like chalk. Is there a cheaper way???? are there normal foods that are just high in protein? has anyone had success at staying fuller longer with protein in thier diet?
    I eat about 120 grams a day. Without much in the way of "products" (except for emergencies).
    For breakfast I eat:
    Nonfat greek yogurt
    Peanut butter (2TBS)
    chia seeds (1TB)
    300 calories 30 grams of protein

legumes (my favorites are BLACK soybeans and refried beans, chickpeas and lentils)

Tofu

chicken breasts
    lean red meats

Yesterday I had 149 grams of protein. I did have a protein bar, because I found myself hungry and not near healthy food. But that Bar only added 15. The rest was real food.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Chicken, eggs, tuna...stop all the artificially protein enhanced crap and go for the real stuff. Anything that had a mother will be good for more protein.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You seem to going for mostly pre-packaged foods. Just get some eggs, lean meat, or milk! They have tons of high quality protein and are readily available! One thing you mentioned that's really good is yogurt. It's best to choose greek yogurt (twice the protein) or other similar types (one brand I prefer is Siggi). Ideally you'd avoid the types of yogurts with lots of high fructose corn syrup.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Meat?

why eat all that processed crap?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Meat?

why eat all that processed crap?

this
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    some great idea on here. I feel so much fuller on high protein. makes doing this so much easier! wish i had discovered it earlier! Look up home made protein bars on here, some look really good and will definitely be cheaper than buying them. I came across a carrot cake on i am going to try soon! x
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cut out eating breads, cereals, etc. and I don't eat processed foods and I get plenty of protien. I am steadily losing by not eating high carb foods. The cereals and such are mostly carbs even if they do have some protein. Cutting out processed foods and making your own stuff is the way to go. I have much more energy to work out and get things done during the day now that I don't eat high carb foods. I also sleep better at night.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, cheese, nuts.

Unless you're a vegetarian.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetabletarian?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

stick to the real foods instead of paying extra for bars and special cereals.

greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    milk
    chicken
    beef

all of those are in my diet almost every single day. eat more meat.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I average 150g of protien a day. Basically from the following:

Nuts
    Peanut Butter
    Soy
    Chicken
    Fish
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Not completely sure what you mean by "normal foods" but the list below is what I cycle through to get at least 100g of protein a day:

Lean chicken breast
    Cod
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    Hard cheeses
    Egg Beaters egg mix
    Bluebonnet's chocolate whey protein isolate

To answer your other question: yes, I feel fuller for a much longer period of time when I eat fewer carbs. Dinner is usually a lot higher in protein than my other meals so I won't get hungry at bedtime.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    tuna fish, or any fish
    chicken
    beef
    beans
    eggs
    greek yogurt