Needing some strength training guidance

Options
2»

Replies

• missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My Y gave me 9 free sessions with a trainer. They were invaluable in learning how to lift. Definitely ask. It's important to get proper form. I attempted squats on my own after reading it on the internet. I ended up throwing my back out for a week and needing morphine to get through it. When it came time for the trainer to show me squats I realized what I did wrong.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm going to swing by my library sometime this week, probably Saturday on my way out of town and see if I can pick up that book :) They have it, but for some reason I can't place a hold online!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    skip the machines and start with new rules of lifting for women. why wait to see results especially since compound movements like deadlifts, pushups, lat pulldowns, step ups, etc found in new rules are the most efficient ways to gain some strength that can be used in the real world.

for instance i dont know if i've ever been required to move my legs in the same position they are in on the leg extension or hamstring machine and i've never had a scenario where i've had been required to do something like the weird angle tricep machine.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    skip the machines and start with new rules of lifting for women. why wait to see results especially since compound movements like deadlifts, pushups, lat pulldowns, step ups, etc found in new rules are the most efficient ways to gain some strength that can be used in the real world.

for instance i dont know if i've ever been required to move my legs in the same position they are in on the leg extension or hamstring machine and i've never had a scenario where i've had been required to do something like the weird angle tricep machine.

The free weight area is so intimidating though :/
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Then maybe attending a group fitness class might get you started. I am not sure if your Y has a strictly strength training class. You might have to ask them. I know at my gym we have a beginner to advance levels of strength training classes (from dumbbells to barbell, even body weight classes). But please make sure your instructor is knowledgeable. In my classes, I am constantly checking form and providing modifications. i want you to have a good experience with strength training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i can understand that. i've been there. :flowerforyou: you can start with a body pump type class if that's what it takes to get you in the gym. just remember that for in the future you can also ask one of the trainers to show you around. once you get enough confidence to join the free weight area it'll be there.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    Just an update: I got the NROL for Women from my library and read well... most of it at work last night. The reason classes don't work so well for me is that they are at times when either I'm working or i'm "recovering" from working (I work till 3am so being up at 6am or 9am even is pretty unrealistic, i'm often not home until close to 4am!). I'm taking a stab at Workout A today, everything looks pretty straightforward and Workout A isn't so intimidating looking. I think I feel more intimidated by this particular area of the gym because i'm a 5'11" woman who is really built to be there. I'm naturally athletic and broad but as a result I stand out more in comparison to the average woman and it leaves me feeling very vulnerable.

I'll update once I get back from the gym also! ON MY WAY THERE RIGHT NOW.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    good luck! If you do it right, you should be sweating at the end and sore tomorrow

that being said, i was onlt sore the first two workouts,....maybe i need to up my weights again!