Dear Runners....advice???

Options
cbu23
cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
I'm wondering how to work on my speed. I can run for a while, but I'm not a very fast runner. Any advice on how to get my speed up?

Thanks!

Replies

• lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You need to train hills; time yourself first time you run to the top.. rest... go back down and run it again to beat your time... you will be surprised how much this helps.

Check out the runningroom.com for more info
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try that and check out the website!
  • Phantox
    Phantox Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Run faster
    Buy minimalist shoes (merell barefoot, vibram five fingers, etc)
    Run on your toes instead of your heels
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Speeds drills.... you can find this and other great running tips at runnersworld.com!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I found the treadmill helped me. Just did 800m fast sessions with slow downs in between. Got my speed up in a few months. Also loosing 10 pound helped and less to carry.

Good luck!
  • adrienneosuna
    Options
    Google Yasso800. I was told to get hundreds of miles on your legs before you work on speed to prevent injury. A doctor told me that. I eventually want to work on my speed too :) good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Hill Training, do intervals, tempo runs, etc.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you use an iPod, check out the podrunner podcasts. Its free and it features songs of the proper tempo to work on increasing your cadence incrementally until you're up to speed. Im not crazy about the music, but the tempo is right.
  • shannon_121285
    Options
    hill repeats and speed drills. push yourself on your speed drills. make sure you don't run everyday. you need to take breaks in the week so you can recover your muscles.

just keep going
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You have to run more to run faster. If you haven't built an appropriate aerobic base, all the speed and hill work in the world isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

How long have you been running and what is your current weekly mileage?

Edit: "difference" not "distance".
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    at the end of every mile I run I make from .90- .10 of the next mile as much of a sprint as possible.....it helps me alot plus it gets my legs used to going when they are exhausted.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Speeds drills.... you can find this and other great running tips at runnersworld.com!
    ^^ This
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    strengthen your legs, bum, back.
    interval training,
    posture.

Just be careful and don't overdo it before your ready x
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Google Yasso800. I was told to get hundreds of miles on your legs before you work on speed to prevent injury. A doctor told me that. I eventually want to work on my speed too :) good luck!

Yasso 800s are a workout that is used as a predictor of marathon finishing time. It may not be appropriate for this poster.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem..i suck at running. i love these suggestions.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    agree with most things, also consider interval training. Plenty of stuff on tinternet.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of..... if you want to run faster then you have to run faster!! I would start doing some speedwork. That could be tempo runs, intervals at a track or on the treadmill, or even informal speed intervals such as fartleks (where you pick up your pace for a period of time - ex: I'm going to run all out until I reach the next phone pole).

Another good way to get speed work in is to enter a lot of races. People generally run faster in a race than on a training run - the adrenaline, competition with other runners, etc. So I do a lot of 5Ks in the summer for my speed work.
  • littlegreenapple
    Options
    I'd have to say, in my opinion, speed is a secondary issue for a recreational runner such as myself. I run 9 or 10 minute miles and have worked on my distance and my endurance more than my speed. I am running a half-marathon in a couple weeks. I am strong, consistent, and SO HAPPY, on 95% of my runs.

Sometimes it's good to practice running for time, not distance as it relates to speed. So set out to run 30 minutes. See where it takes you. And see how much farther you can go in the same amount of time a few weeks later. :)
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    Buy minimalist shoes (merell barefoot, vibram five fingers, etc)
    Run on your toes instead of your heels

I recommend minimalist shoes as well (I use Newtons and Adizero line of Adidas shoes) but be aware that you need to work up to them don't just slap them on and start running long distances or you will injure yourself.

Also I wouldn't recommend toes...you should strike more midfoot (not toes or heel).

Just keep working I started out running 12 minute miles and I would start trying to run faster to improved my time (basically racing against myself) and I now run a 7:00-7:30 minute mile consistently by myself and under 7:00 when I race.