I'm not saying I agree with this but....

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. It's called zig zagging and it is often used to help break a plateau. Just don't eat 500 calories a day for months. Good luck quitting smoking!! I did it after 34 years, and feel 1000 times better. :flowerforyou:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would do some Tae Bo. That will melt it off.
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just to make everyone aware I did not intend for this to be a starvation mode war.

I'm not saying that I'm a 52kg chick who eats only 800 calories. I do believe that you can do yourself damage by starving yourself. I do not intend to starve myself, I couldn't if I tried, I just love cake way too much.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If I understand this correctly true starvation mode doesn't exist until you're below 6%(?) BF and on a VLCD. While in a caloric deficit you will lose muscle though it can be kept to a minimum. Slowing your metabolism seems to be a more accurate term as a name for the bodies response to a VLCD when your BF% is still higher than the 6%.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...
  • Loraah
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean
    Sounds like a mental issue to me.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm the one in purple

So let me get this? Your body doesn't actually go into starvation mode until you are about down to 10 % body fat.

The trainer at the gym told me that if I ate under the 1200 I would not lose weight no matter how much cardio I did.
    It really has put fear in me. When I work out, they give me extra calories for it and If I don't eat that much than it will say you are not eating enough and all that jazz about starvation mode.

Please help.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I predict just because op used the term "starvation mode" that this thread will last 12 pages and it will turn into starvation mode battle that will be about if it does or does not exsist. The moral here is to enjoy the first few pages OP then whamooo.. :laugh:

Wow. The very next post. Well played!

lmao *bows* ty ty :smile:
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am considered obese according to the BMI chart and when I limited my calories to 1200 and was working out, I did hit a plateau earlier than I expected. I'm not going into the term "starvation mode", but my body wanted more food. I now eat 1800 calories and am losing 1 - 2 pounds a week. It works for me.

11490831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    One low calorie day isn't going to hurt you. You could not eat for an entire day and be just fine. Personally, I see some potential issues with the idea that you need to "make up" for what you did on other days, but if it works for you, and this isn't a common occurrence (i.e. you don't regularly binge and purge) then it's probably not going to cause any harm.
  • Loraah
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories. I'm eating 1600 before exercise
    I am considered obese according to the BMI chart and when I limited my calories to 1200 and was working out, I did hit a plateau earlier than I expected. I'm not going into the term "starvation mode", but my body wanted more food. I now eat 1800 calories and am losing 1 - 2 pounds a week. It works for me.

11490831.png
  • Loraah
    Options
    It's definately not a regular occurrence. First time I've had an "off" day in a while. Thanks so much for your advice
    One low calorie day isn't going to hurt you. You could not eat for an entire day and be just fine. Personally, I see some potential issues with the idea that you need to "make up" for what you did on other days, but if it works for you, and this isn't a common occurrence (i.e. you don't regularly binge and purge) then it's probably not going to cause any harm.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. It seemed that the last couple weeks that I have eaten more. The scale has not moved.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have fought the cigarette battle too. I quit in January. Here are a few things that can help (helped me anyway).

Get some sugar free hard candies. Pop one of those in your mouth when you start craving a smoke.

Lots of water helps flush the chemicals out of your system and is just plain good for you.

If a hard craving hits, just start walking or do something with your hands. Those cravings seem to last forever but in reality they only last about 5 minutes.

It only takes three days or so for the nicotine to completely leave your system. Any cravings after that are purely mental. Find something to occupy your mind during those times.

Accept the fact that it will take a long time to learn how to be a non smoker. Learn new habits to replace that old one.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 1/2 weeks ago. It's without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done. However, quitting now while I'm logging calories has kept me from turning to food. I watch my calories and exercise to make sure I'm not going to food to compensate for not smoking. So far it's working for me, I'm still losing.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    your bone ribum won't thank you for this...
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories. I'm eating 1600 before exercise

11490831.png

I don't worry about eating back my workout calories because my target is to eat between 1800 - 2130. I am a part of the "eat more to weigh less" group on here. :happy: What I did was figure out my BMR and TDEE. When you figure these numbers, your exercise and daily activity is already in the equation so there is no need to "eat back" calories. My BMR is 1718, so I never go below that and my TDEE is 2663 so I try not to go above that. In order to lose weight I subtract 20% from my TDEE which is 2130. This works for me. It may not work for everyone and I don't want to debate it. :laugh: Hope this helps you!

11490831.png
  • Loraah
    Options
    Oooh I understand now. Thank you
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean
    Sounds like a mental issue to me.

My point is don't be paranoid about calories, don't let it control your life. Sure be aware, make smart choices, but realize you won't be able to every day of your life. Keep the negative emotions in check, it's like you're saying "I did bad, so i have to go do this..." I don't think it's healthy to do that.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm the one in purple

So let me get this? Your body doesn't actually go into starvation mode until you are about down to 10 % body fat.

The trainer at the gym told me that if I ate under the 1200 I would not lose weight no matter how much cardio I did.
    It really has put fear in me. When I work out, they give me extra calories for it and If I don't eat that much than it will say you are not eating enough and all that jazz about starvation mode.

Please help.