Eat before workout?

Options
JatieKo621
JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
Hello!

I need all the help/advice I can get in trying to lose around 20lbs. I currently just started back on INSANITY and am going to incorporate some strength training as well while doing it.

My question for all of you awesome MFPals, should I eat breakfast first if I want to workout in the morning? I find that sometimes it is easier to just get up and go (workout right away) but I remember with month 2 of INSANITY (I did it before) I felt like I was dying during the workout if I didn't eat something....

so what do you do?

THANKS!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you feel and perform better if you eat first, then eat.
  • SlowLion
    SlowLion Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had a couple trainers tell me that you should eat 30mins before a workout. I'll usually eat 300 calories or so. (but I'm a 225lb dude, so you may not need that many) The idea is that this allows you to workout longer and at a higher level, since, your body has the fuel to keep going.
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    If you find yourself feeling faint, then I suggest you have something before your workout. Handful of almonds, a slice of peanut butter toast, w/e.

Personally, I get nauseous when I workout with a full stomach. So I eat like 2 hrs max beforehand.
  • Livingbalanced
    Livingbalanced Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I perform better and feel better when I eat before I workout. I have a shake (banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup skim milk).
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If i will be working out for at least an hour I will have oatmeal or toast before, otherwise I go at it on just coffee.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1/2 c of chocolate milk and a banana before a workout then the other 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 a Clif bar afterwards. I don't do well if I don't eat before and right after. I wind up feeling faint, seeing spots and being dizzy if I don't get something in. Heck, I sometimes have to nibble on my after snack during my work out!
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :) I was wondering the same thing earlier today!!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I train a couple of hours after lunch (5 or 6 hours), no food meanwhile. Personal preference when it comes to meals :)
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    sure, i do. but i was finding i was getting pretty darn shaky, so that was a big push for me to grab a nibble. :drinker:
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually feel dizzy if I don't eat something before. Some days I can not eat anything and feel fine. I think it has to do with what you eat the night before.