real workout videos for obese

Options
I am new to this dieting thing and am having trouble getting a real start as most people just need to loss a few pounds. I am about 120 pounds over weight. I have tried several work out dvd's with no sucess as I just can't do them at my weight and fitness level. I would love any advise you have to offer as long as its not some crap about the 30 day shred. Again I'm just to big to start there. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    If what you are looking for is only dvds then the biggest loser has one that is a power walk and you should be able to do that. Good luck!
  • gettingfitmomof3
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk A Way the Pounds is a good one and I know it is old school but Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have even more to lose than you do, and I enjoy the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs (in-home walking) and the TurboJam DVDs (dance-kickboxing). They are both very manageable for someone just beginning to exercise.
  • klm4062
    klm4062 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I've done the "Pick your level: Weight loss Pilates and it's pretty good.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like the Leslie Sansone 'Walk Away the Pounds' dvds - she typically includes multiple workouts that equal out to a couple of different speeds/distances (like I've seen one that had a '1 mile' workout, '2 mile', maybe a couple of other longer ones as well). They are all walking in place with some other movements thrown in, you try to keep pace with her b/c she's shooting for a certain number of steps per workout to meet the mileage that's stated in the workout. But if you can't keep up with how fast they're going, you could always go at your own pace. She also throws in some different movements other than just straight walking in place, makes it more interesting, but if you're not all that coordinated to do those different steps you could just continue walking in place. She has a really upbeat personality in the dvds, and really just about anyone should be able to do them. If you feel ready to bump it up a little but not ready to do something like 30 Day Shred or the Biggest Loser workouts, you could carry a water bottle in each hand to add a little resistance to your arm movements.
  • Longlittledoggie
    Longlittledoggie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are several varieties of walking based videos - Leslie Sansone is a popular one. I think that would be a good place to start!
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Here's a link where you can try the Walk-at-Home videos. Try the Beginninger one, it's only about 15-20 minutes.

http://www.walkathome.com/try-walk-at-home/
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds or simply go out dorrs if able to where you live and walk. My huby dropped about 40+ pounds just walking-try to do it as often as you can-everyday if possible. Also check out Collagevideos.com They have a ton of videos that you can preview to see if it is something you maybe able to do before you buy. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I tried a bunch of videos that I just wasn't ready for. However, keep in mind that you are not being rated on how well you perform the DVD. As long as you keep your heart rate up, and keep moving, you're burning calories! If you could do all the moves in the video perfectly the first time, you'd be doing the wrong workout :flowerforyou:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds or (now don't laugh, I'm serious here) Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies. Folks on his videos look like you (and like I used to) and he designs his moves with you in mind.

You can upgrade to something more ambitious once you can easily do the Sweatin' to the Oldies.
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have videos that you can't do all of the moves you can always modify the move to something you can do.

It's really more important to keep moving and not injure yourself than doing the exact move they show.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I started I used George Foreman's "Walk and Box".
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I was 240 in Jan when I started and in the worst shape ever. I started with Jillian's 30 day shred and just marched to chatch my breath when needed and did the best I could. Every day I got better and better at it.

Just pick one and do what you can and you will change daily too!