How do I achive my goal?

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Can I get some suggestions on the best methods I can use to attain my goal please.

My issue is I'm underweight and have a rather low BF% (according to my scales it around 14%, online calculators put me between 15-17%, I haven't been properly checked with calipers cause TBH I have absolutely no idea where to go here in Sweden to do that....At any rate, I am currently gaining weight, at a 500 cal surplus/750 on exercise days (net 2280) I seem to be steadily gaining 0.5 - 0.75lbs a week. My current routine is lifting 45 min x 3(attempting heavy, but at this point heavy for me is probably still small potatoes for everyone else - LOL) and circuit training 25 min x1(for health and endurance)

My main goal is to gain weight, particularly muscle. I Want to look and feel stronger, I want some obvious muscle definition. The dilemma is I do have a low BF% but it seems like a lot of that fat is around my belly and and a little on my side back, so how do I do this if I want my abs to be more defined (as well as the rest of me), but I don't want to lose anymore body fat, as its already at an unhealthy level for a woman. and I like the look of a little softness with muscle if that makes sense I don't want a really rock hard midsection, just more shapely than what it is now!

I'm wondering if I need to follow a more tradition bulk and cut cycle, instead of trying to do both things at once. I'm 5'4", 101lbs right now.

Thanks people.

Replies

• SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Where your body stores that little bit of fat is mainly genetics. I would do more ab and booty exercises to try to target it, however people always tell me that you can't do that. But I think it works for me. :)
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Damn genetics! ;)
    Thanks girl!
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Bump...?
  • Meg_78
    Options
    One last sad bump!
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I can only speak from what I've read and not what I've done personally. That being said, most will tell you it's almost inevitable that you will gain some fat with a bulk, and will probably need to do a cut afterward if you really want the visible abs.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks for responding Shfiftyfive, guess my worry is that I want to gain some fat, cause I do need it, I just want it to go on other places from my belly. So basically how can I be at a healthy BF% which is higher than what I am now, but still make my belly look trimmer. Maybe I just can't.
  • eihwazone
    eihwazone Posts: 1
    Options
    You have to concentrate on extensive ab workout, I believe you can do it, anything is possible if you really try. I lost 130lbs in 8 months exercising and watching calories. I still need to lose about 70 so here I am on My Fitness Pal. Counting calories to me is an essential part of weight control.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bumping for you!
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    Thanks for responding Shfiftyfive, guess my worry is that I want to gain some fat, cause I do need it, I just want it to go on other places from my belly. So basically how can I be at a healthy BF% which is higher than what I am now, but still make my belly look trimmer. Maybe I just can't.

Let me know when they can perform a Fat Transplant! I'll be a donor!! LOL
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions on gaining, but I have always heard that abs are made in the kitchen. You, of course, need to do core work and exercises for that area to strengthen the muscles, but you can't spot treat. Make sure your nutrition is spot on. Cut junk foods, add whole foods.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if you're not wanting to put on too much fat, just eat slightly over maintenance (like 200 cals a day) and spend 6 months doing that.

then worry about cutting.