IF - Did it reduce your cravings for crappy food?

Options
Hannah_Banana
Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
Just curious about others who use intermitient fasting in their lifestyle. I've rediscovered a lot of the benefits and I've found this time around that what really strikes me is the *craving* for good, wholesome food.

I've never been a veggie girl but my god when I come out of a fast, I want huge salads with lean chicken or steak. I just want fresh, REAL food. The thought of a pizza just makes me queasy and forget about pastas, breads, sweets etc.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is there a scientific reason behind this (other than - hey you're body is hungry, and what does it want? Good stuff!)

Also... I safely practice IF to combat insulin resistance/PCOS and assists with mental clarity. Not looking for judgemental or self-righteous replies about how horrible I am. Thanks :wink:

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dlongshot7
    dlongshot7 Posts: 79
    Options
    What is IF and how do you fast, and how long?

No judging... just curious, I'm always looking for different ways to jump my metobolism and shake things up! :happy: Cheers!
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wish I was like you! when I come out of a fast I want junk. Pizza, burgers, whatever.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Here is a great group about IF....They can probably help you with many answers....HTH.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

I have been curious about starting this as well...Or just doing a 10 day juice fast...Not sure yet.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    YES it does!
    eliminating my cravings for not so good foods and refocusing my diet is one of the MAIN reasons i IF ala ESE (24h fast, dinner-dinner).. i do a 24 1 or 2x a week..
    the other days i do LG style, 16/8.. i like the 8 hour window, once it's up, i'm done.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do this every once in a while, and i actually enjoy the experience. I usually fast from the end of dinner one night to as long as is comfortable the next day - i usually make it 'til right before dinner. I've been a Paleo for a while so i don't really have any blood sugar issues from it, and find myself with just a ton of energy. And i truly want good food - vegetables and a nice steak afterward. Yummy!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that IF might actually be religious in nature to some degree An occassional short term fast you can develop some soul searching clarity , however I would make certain it is OK with your doctor because it could trigger some health problems if you overdo it.
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Everytime i come out of a fast i crave yogurt and fruit :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    What is IF and how do you fast, and how long?

No judging... just curious, I'm always looking for different ways to jump my metobolism and shake things up! :happy: Cheers!

Intermittent fasting is basically a prolonged (12-24 hours) of fasting with water (some people include other sugar-free liquids), followed by an “eating window” that includes a normal day’s calorie intake.

So for instance, I fast for 18-20 hours, and then eat my maintenance calories in a 4-6 hour window. Occasionally I will do an ‘on day’ and an ‘off day’. So I will fast for 24 hours, then eat normally for 24 hours (at maintenance).

This is a great link that explains it WAY more eloquently than I ever could :bigsmile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    Here is a great group about IF....They can probably help you with many answers....HTH.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

I have been curious about starting this as well...Or just doing a 10 day juice fast...Not sure yet.

Thank you! I will definately check it out!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Options
    YES it does!
    eliminating my cravings for not so good foods and refocusing my diet is one of the MAIN reasons i IF ala ESE (24h fast, dinner-dinner).. i do a 24 1 or 2x a week..
    the other days i do LG style, 16/8.. i like the 8 hour window, once it's up, i'm done.

Yeah, this sounds exactly what I do. It just fits my lifestyle SO much better than 'eat 6 bird meals per day'. I dont want to spend my whole day thinking about the next cheese stick I get at 11am :laugh:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really make a difference for me. Sometimes I crave crappy food and sometimes I don't :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've only been doing it one week so this is my first TOTM on it and I haven't had the urge to eat chocolate as I usually do every month nor had the urge to eat continuosly. I do it from 9p.m until 1p.m so I only miss out breakfast :wink:
  • punkinabox65
    punkinabox65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Saw a great doc on this last night http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/apr/02/eat-fast-and-live-longer-michael-mosley/ and I wanted to know if anyone has had success with it. Everyone in my family has diabeates and it seem like it helps with mental incapacities as well. Please feel free to school me on this. I am thinking of doing it.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    NO. I was just hungrier when I finished fasting. I find that just breaking the crummy food from the diet is what reduces my cravings for it. The less often I eat it, the less I want. It changes what I think is a treat. I use to be really excited about Cheetos, but now i just want an apple. I LOVE APPLES. I still can't stop thinking about Dark Chocolate, but that may never stop. ;-)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I do not fast on work days, I have to go for hours without eating and when I get home, I do not eat all my daily allowance because it is impossible. Two or three days like this and I lose 1-2 pounds that week.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wish it did, but I still crave the same foods regardless of fasting. Actually the only real change for me was no breakfast in the morning.
  • datmnky
    datmnky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am on it and love it!! takes care of all my cravings and its the only thing that i can stick to
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had to quit Intermittent Fasting, it wasn't for me. I tried for several weeks. I have a history of bulimia and binge eating..... IF isn't very good for people with these tendencies. Back to the regular schedule for me, but I've also heard of its benefits and know several people who are successful with i and love itt. Live and learn, eh?
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!