Healthy Eating while travelling

Options
Does anyone have tips on how to eat healthy while on a road trip? I'll be gone for two weeks and I am concerned that I'm going to gain while I'm on my trip. So at the very least I want to maintain or lose a little.

Replies

• Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat at the grocery store deli, deli lunch meat is really low calorie. Protein bars like myoplex, can work for breakfast, even a loaf of sara lee 45 calorie bread and 1 teaspoon peanut butter. Taco Bell now has the drive through diet with fresco stuff that's only 150 calories and KFC grilled chicken is around 80 for a leg calories the orig recipe chicken is only 120 if you want that. I like full bars too. Fruit. For snacks buy baby treats the puffs 25 calories for half cup. the yogurt melts are 30 calories for 1/4 cup and they taste good! The right kind of jerky high protein, is 60 calories for 1 ounce which is really filling with a big glass of water. Cheese sticks can be filling and they are high protein.
    Just got back from a trip and the jerky and protein bars are what saved me in between meals with a large glass of water. Chicken broth is only 5 calories.
    Good Luck have fun!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I travel for business and know I'll be sleeping in hotels that may or may not have a free breakfast option, I toss some packets of regular instant oatmeal into my suitcase, along with a spoon. I'll either use hot water from the tap or hot water from the in-room coffee pot to prepare the oatmeal, and will eat it out of one of the coffee cups they provide. Another (similar) idea is to carry along some of those instant cup-o-noodles soup packets. Be sure you remember your spoon, though, hah.

Other ideas - if you are in a hotel that offers fruit near the front desk, don't be shy about grabbing a couple of pieces each time you walk by.

As the previous poster said, eat your own food whenever possible...but if you're stuck with restaurants, look through their menu items for ingredient ideas, and then ask them to create something for you that fits your menu plan but doesn't incorporate the heavy sauces or cheese that most menu items include. Turn sandwiches or burgers into salads, for example, and skip the starches in favor of double veggies. Might sound boring, but you'll feel great each night when it's time for bed. :)
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I travel for fun, I now reset my goals to maintenance. This allows me to have controlled fun ;)

I agree with the other posters about food, but I think it's also important to keep goals realistic while travelling.

Debbie
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like to request a refrigerator if the room doesn't have one and find a grocery store when I arrive at my destination. I buy things like fresh cut fruit, yogurt and bottled water. I also have to eat gluten-free, so that's an additional challenge.

Instant oatmeal and jerky are more great options that previous posters have suggested. They've given some great ideas and I will incorporate them when I travel this summer. We are going to Hawaii next month and my DH said he knows where the Whole Foods is located. It will most likely cost a fortune, but at least I will be able to find gluten-free food that I can eat.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    One of the first things I do is locate the closest grocery store and grab a container (or two) of hummus, whole wheat pitas, a bag of apples, a bag of baby carrots, instant oatmeal and a small bag of frozen mixed veggies (which are fine in the fridge). If they have it, I'll grab a large container of bean salad from the deli.

Everything goes in the fridge and you can make a few meals out of it.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eat at the grocery store deli, deli lunch meat is really low calorie.

Be really careful with this if you're watching your sodium. Deli meats are ridiculously high in sodium, usually around 500mg for just a 2-ounce serving. If you watch sodium and keep it low, aadding a lot of deli meats *will* make you gain water weight while you're traveling.

You can pack some kind of protein bar (look for one like the Detour Low Sugar ones if you're worried about the calories in a normal protein bar). I agree with packing some oatmeal packets or something you can easily pack in your suitcase/carry-on to make quick and easy. The other thing I would do is go online, see what restaurants are around the hotels you're staying at, plan your meals ahead. Stick to your plan.

Oh, and go check out your hotel gym. It's there to be used and it's free. Or, it's at least provided at "no apparent cost to you."
  • IslandGirl082911
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your response! I so appreciate this.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me I make the effort to eat as if I were home. Its so easy to go for the waffles and sausage with syrup but I will stick with my one egg and fruits or oatmeal. I often will go to salad bar at a market for lunch.

Visiting freinds recently was a challenge. Keeping track with the phone app did help me from going to crazy.