Seeking Quinoa Recipes

Options
DarkFlutter
DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
After seeing it on so many diary entries, I decided to try it.
Picked some up tonight, but need a few ideas on how best to serve it.
I am a very picky eater (mostly chicken, no fruits/veggies...it's a texture thing).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to try out quinoa also. The best thing I like to do with it (so far) is to use it in stir-fry instead of rice.
    I've been looking for other quinoa recipes, so I'd love to hear other people's suggestions!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Quinoa tastes a lot like rice.

I've made plain w/ just a little Mrs Dash seasoning (I used garlic/herb) and it turned out great. Or you can cook it in broth instead of water for a little extra flavor. I've used it in a variety of asian/thai dishes instead of rice. It's really pretty versatile. Give it a try.
  • Denfks
    Denfks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    However you decide, make sure to rinse it very well before you cook it or it will have a biiter, soapy taste. It's good with diced tomato, cucumber and onion with a little Italian dressing.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I use it many ways. I buy the prewashed stuff

breakfast cook it like oatmeal and add a touch of brown sugar a chopped up banana and some walnuts. It delicious

dinner I cook it with chicken stock, and black beans. When that is finished I add a bit of light sour cream and add some salsa verde to it. Sometimes I eat this as a main dish or a side with another protein.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I toast some almond slivers and add about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries to it and then put raspberry vinegarett dressing over it Its really good
    1 cup uncooked Quinoa
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/3 cup raspberry vinegarette dressing

rinse quinoa until clear
    after rinsing add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil cover and reduce heat to a simmer . Continue to simmer with a lid on until done and almost all of the water is absorbed about 20 minutes
    Turn off heat and let the pot sit on the burner with the lid off until it is slightly cooled, this will help the rest of the water to evaporate. There is no need to drain unless you added too much water.
    toss in the slivered almonds, cranberries and dressing
    You can serve this room temperature of cold.
  • nscarebear
    nscarebear Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    1 cup Quinoa (prepare per box), when finished but still hot and steamy add 1/4th cup dried currants and let cool. Add a handful of finely diced jicama and 1/2th cup slivered almonds.

I know the currants and jicama might sound off but it's AWESOME. Savory and crunchy and sweet and fruity <3
  • dhansen999
    dhansen999 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple recipes I have made recently with quinoa

Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx
    made 5 servings
    Used 2 eggs instead of 1. Didn't use olive oil.
    per serving: 217 calories, 15g carbs, 3 g fat, 32g protein

Cheesy Quinoa Bites
    http://www.soveryblessed.com/2012/01/cheesy-quinoa-bites.html
    made 12 servings
    per serving: calories 68, carbs 6, fat 3, protein 4
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Marley Coffee posted this today:

Cocoa-Almond Baked Breakfast Quinoa.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3141
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is my family's favorite recipe:

2 teaspoons grated lime zest
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
    1 avocado, cut into chunks
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    4 scallions, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix zest, lime juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients and serve at room temp.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had this at my friend's the other day. Amazing!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/03/26/mexican-quinoa-salad/
  • melaniegreben
    melaniegreben Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great Mediterranean quinoa recipe:

Serves 2 people for dinner main course + 1 lunch the next day

1.5 cups quinoa - once cooked will expand to about 3 cups
    2.5 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon Garlic (I use the pre-crushed kind that comes in the small glass container)
    ~1/2 cup Red wine vinegar (use more or less depending on how strong you want it)
    1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
    1/2 can artichoke hearts
    kalmata olives (sometimes I just get 6-8 of them from the grocery store salad bar)
    1/2 tomato
    Mozzarella or feta cheese
    Garlic salt to flavor

Add quinoa, garlic (to flavor) and water in medium pot. Cover on high heat until boils then turn down heat and simmer for 15min (or until all of the water has been absorbed), stirring occasionally. While the quinoa is cooking, chop up artichoke hearts, olives, and tomato. Once quinoa is done, add chopped up ingredients directly into pot. Add red wine vinegar, olive oil, and cheese. Stir everything together and salt to taste.

I eat it hot at night then refrigerate the leftovers and eat cold the next day.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schenry417
    schenry417 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've just found these recipes this week for meal plan this week. Haven't yet tried them, but they sound good:

Parmesan Quinoa
    Top 1/2 cup cooked quinoa with 2 tbsp marinara, 2 tsp grated Parmesan.

Chicken and Quinoa Tossed Salad
    In a bowl, toss 2/3 cup cooked quinoa with 1/4 cup baby spinach, 1/4 cup shredded carrots. Top with 3 oz chopped grilled chicken breast, 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, 1 tbsp dried cranberries, 1 tbsp chopped walnuts. Drizzle with 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp olive oil.

Quinoa-Edamame Salad With Sesame-Ginger Dressing
    In a bowl, combine 1 cup cooked quinoa, 2/3 cup shelled cooked edamame, 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 1/4 cup chopped cucumber. In another bowl, combine 2 tsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1/4 tsp garlic powder; toss with quinoa mixture.

Couscous (you can sub Quinoa) Margherita
    In a medium pan, sauté 1/3 cup chopped onion, 1 chopped garlic clove in 2 tsp olive oil, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup halved grape tomatoes, 1 tbsp water; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Simmer until tomatoes are soft, 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup cooked shelled edamame, 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil, 1/8 tsp salt, a pinch of black pepper; cook 2 minutes. Serve over 1/2 cup cooked couscous; top with 1 tbsp shredded Parmesan.

Mediterranean Mix
    In a bowl, toss quinoa with 1 cup halved grape tomatoes with 3 tbsp crumbled feta, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar.
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nasimow
    nasimow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I pack quinoa in my lunch almost every day. It's great because it tastes good cold and I don't have access to a microwave at school. Lately I've been enjoying mixing 1 serving of quinoa (1/4 dry- about 1 cup cooked) with one raw sliced carrot, fresh cucumber slices, fresh fennel, and crumbled tofu. It's delicious. I usually don't have a huge appetite at lunch time and this is very healthy but still fills me up just the right amount.

Quinoa is also great with stirfry and used as a rice substitute. I adore it- basically my favorite food of all time. I could eat quinoa for every single meal.
  • StephinWA
    StephinWA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try this one - I really liked it. I put it in a bowl with chicken, avocado and salsa. Used hominy instead of corn because I had a can I needed to use up. Yum. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.
    Have to admit I'm a little nervous about trying it...but then again I'm nervous about trying anything new.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in place of the oats in homemade veggie burgers.