p90x exercises

Is there a way to automatically load all of the p90x exercises into the exercise diary, instead of having to load them individually and manually?

Replies

• Doan1987
    Doan1987 Posts: 1
    Agreed, I was about to type this same exact thing. I'm at the end of week 6 and would like to not have to try and manually put crap together. There's not even a spot for plyometrics...so...if there is any way to get this figured out I would be grateful.
  • Create your own exercise. That what I did for P90x. Super simple
  • tdvogl
    tdvogl Posts: 9 Member
    Short answer..... no. You have to use a HRM and test your caloric burn PER EXERCISE! Ugh! Then you add a new exercise to your exercises. After that, it will show up on your group of exercises. That is what I did.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,552 Member
    I have the same problem. Great question.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Short answer..... no. You have to use a HRM and test your caloric burn PER EXERCISE! Ugh! Then you add a new exercise to your exercises. After that, it will show up on your group of exercises. That is what I did.

THIS ^^^^^
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    I have looked and gave up..
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    You would think that with how popular the P90x / insanity programs are, they would be in here. I just stopped using the exercise part of the site now and only use it to track food.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    P90X has an online calorie calculator for the various workouts - I have been using this, but not quite sure how accurate it is (I am sure it varies by individual). I just got a heart rate monitor and so I will be curious to see how they match up - but you can maybe uses these as a guide until you get a heart rate monitor. I was conservative and subtracted 50 off each one...

http://p90xcalories.com/
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    why dont you just use a HRM, and enter your own as p90x ? im sure each individual one wont matter
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Even if they were in the database, they probably would not be accurate. If you have invested the time, energy, and money into p90x, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're pretty committed to your fitness goals. If that is the case, invest in a decent HRM with chest strap. It's the only way to be sure. Programs like p90x can vary from 200-1000 calories per workout depending on the person and all of the variables.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    I do P90X. I use to go to the P90X calorie burn calculator. You can google it. http://p90xcalories.com/
    Then you enter your information and what work out you did for how long and it tells you an estimated calorie burn. I would enter that under my work outs. Then I got a HRM and realized I was burning more than what the online calculator was telling me. Sometimes I burn more than others so I usually enter it manually under my exercise every time so I can enter the calories burned.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Even if they were in the database, they probably would not be accurate. If you have invested the time, energy, and money into p90x, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're pretty committed to your fitness goals. If that is the case, invest in a decent HRM with chest strap. It's the only way to be sure. Programs like p90x can vary from 200-1000 calories per workout depending on the person and all of the variables.

^^^^^
    This is very true. I have a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. The online calculator told my doing polymetrics that I burned 400 calories. My HRM said 630. Also, one day it could be 630 and another day I pushed myself harder it was 720. Slow tired days it might be 525. That is why the HRM is so important. There is not a exact burn on every workout. Depends how hard you are pushing and working yourself.
  • tomhwrdiii
    tomhwrdiii Posts: 1
    so the online calculator is actually under-guessing the amount of calories burned during the workouts as compared to the HRM? has everyone experienced this?
  • ctooch99
    Yeah wow, I am surprised - I figured if anything the online calculator was overestimating the calories burned. For example it tells me that Ab Ripper X burns 380 calories by itself - I am skeptical, so I always just put in 300. I will know for sure the next time I do it because I will have a HRM on and I will share the results in this thread.
  • ctooch99
    Update - so I got my heart rate monitor and as a test I wore it when I did P90X Core Synergistics last night. The P90X online calorie calculator says for my weight and intensity level, I should burn about 563 calories on this workout. My heart rate monitor showed 543 when I was done. Pretty darn close (for me anyway).

Also some notes on these HRMs.

1) I don't dig the chest strap at all - very uncomfortable and distracting during my workout. I am actually going to say that if I was not so distracted fiddling with this gizmo, I would have burned another 50 calories, easy. It definitely disrupted my concentration.

2) The HRM stopped recording a couple times briefly during the workout (see number 1 above) - I am gonna say it missed giving me credit for at least 40 - 60 more calories because of this- I have read this complaint on many of these devices (no matter the price or brand) and I really wish they would come out with one that read accurately from the wrist (without finger sensor reads).

It also seemed to jump around a bit - for example at the peak of the work out (doing the lunges with weights) I first got a HR reading of 163, then when I twisted my torso a bit shaking out with ballistic stretches, the number immediately jumped down to 110. My heart rate was still jacked really high, but it seemed like the device was reading it wrong.

So, my conclusion here is that if you are honest in how you use the online P90X calculator from the links in this thread (as far as your weight, time and intensity), you are probably going to come really close to what a heart rate monitor is going to show you. I will probably wear the wrist unit and take finger reads but I don't think I am going to use the chest sensor very much - I work out out much more focused and intense without it.

Just my 2 cents
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    People need to remember that heart rate monitors are designed to be accurate with steady state cardiovascular exercise. Weight training while wearing a HRM will produce inaccurate results. So, for plyo or kempo, wear it. For the rest, use the p90x calorie site listed above to get a general feel for what you burned.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    People need to remember that heart rate monitors are designed to be accurate with steady state cardiovascular exercise. Weight training while wearing a HRM will produce inaccurate results. So, for plyo or kempo, wear it. For the rest, use the p90x calorie site listed above to get a general feel for what you burned.

A HRM simply tracks your heart rate so how will it produce innacurate results on non cardio exercises? If you tell me that you can do chest and back on P90X and your heart doesnt go up, your not working hard enough. Any fitness professional and/or certified trainer can tell you that a HRM is good for all exercises. How else would you know what you burned?
  • steveinct
    A HRM simply tracks your heart rate so how will it produce innacurate results on non cardio exercises? If you tell me that you can do chest and back on P90X and your heart doesnt go up, your not working hard enough. Any fitness professional and/or certified trainer can tell you that a HRM is good for all exercises. How else would you know what you burned?

Here is a cut and paste from a sparkpeople article. You can find this same information in a bunch of different places on the web, but this one is a short and clear explanation:

A heart rate monitor (HRM) is capable of estimating calorie burn pretty accurately—but only for aerobic (cardio) exercise, not for strength training. Here's why:

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

Written by Dean Anderson, Certified Personal Trainer
  • ctooch99
    That's really interesting. I totally buy it too hence Aerobic vs. Anerobic (weight training) exercise. The 64 million dollar question then is how does one get an accurate calorie burn reading for the strength training workouts in P90X?

Personally I will probably use my method of the the online calculator -50 to be conservative. Seems to be working - getting fit and losing about .50 -1 per week.
  • steveinct
    I agree ctucci. The online calculator for the weight training and the HRM for plyo and cardiox. Most important of all, you are getting the right weight loss numbers. If that changes, you may have to adjust up or down a bit here and there as the dietary macros change.