Going To Be A Bridesmaid.....

Options
I was just asked to be a Bridesmaid for my friend's wedding that will take place September 2012! I am excited...both scared and motivated at the same time. You know with wedding pictures....they will be seen by EVERYONE FOREVER! I do not want to be the one overweight/fat Bridesmaid. Absolutely not! Like I said I am more motivated now than ever...but worried that I won't reach my goal weight by that time. Time will tell...and I know I gotta work hard for this.

I guess that is the thing when you have something like this to motivate you. It can be positive or it can be negative...depends on how you handle it. Any advice? Who is in the same position as me? Do share :)

Replies

• jaqs86
    jaqs86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!!

I'm in the same position as you but I'm going to be a bridesmaid and a bride next year so REALLY have to get started. I dont really have any advice but I find that exercise gives me much faster results and I get inch loss even if I dont get weight loss.

Good luck! x
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have been in tons of weddings and i never cared how i looked. LOL i figured everyone was going to be staring at the bride. but for motivation, i try to picture how i WANT TO LOOK in a certain time frame. every morning, i visualize myself looking like that image, and it helps me get to the gym and work hard. our 20th anniversary is in august, and i'm determined to hit my goal weight by that date!!! (that will be 1 full year of my weight loss/exercise regime.) it's hard when you feel pressed for time, but remember more long-term goals, and do the best you can until the wedding in september. don't beat yourself up if you don't get down as far as you want on your weight, and remember you're going to be trimmed & toned and looking fabulous in your bridesmaid gown, even if you don't hit goal weight. :flowerforyou:
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Look forward to it as a fun time to be treasured and make memories.

That being said, when are you all doing the dress shopping? When you go, ask about time frames. Get a dress that fits you now, but ask how long it would take to get it in a smaller size and if you can return it to do so. If there are alterations to be made, ask how long the time frame for those are.

That way you can get a dress that fits now, but have the option to get a smaller size (either by trade in or alterations) later on. That way you already have the dress & know you fit into it. Then there is no pressure on you to do something in a certain time frame. You will just know that when your body changes you'll be able to get the dress altered/traded for a more flattering fit to your new physique.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    My dad is getting married in Nov, and while they aren't having bridesmaids there, the only family pic there is of all of us, I look like a giant pie! So I HAVE to be a lot slimmer by then. Then a month after that my sister is getting married. Again, I won't be bridesmaid (she's religious and I'm not so that counts me out!) but I assume I'll be in some pics so I want to look good.
    A few months after that I'm getting married and I really have to be at my goal by then. It's good to have stuff like this to look forward to. Added motivation!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    i have been in tons of weddings and i never cared how i looked. LOL i figured everyone was going to be staring at the bride. but for motivation, i try to picture how i WANT TO LOOK in a certain time frame. every morning, i visualize myself looking like that image, and it helps me get to the gym and work hard. our 20th anniversary is in august, and i'm determined to hit my goal weight by that date!!! (that will be 1 full year of my weight loss/exercise regime.) it's hard when you feel pressed for time, but remember more long-term goals, and do the best you can until the wedding in september. don't beat yourself up if you don't get down as far as you want on your weight, and remember you're going to be trimmed & toned and looking fabulous in your bridesmaid gown, even if you don't hit goal weight. :flowerforyou:

As a former wedding photographer, I can tell you, people notice everyone.

Best of luck.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me if you would like :) I'm getting married in September 2012, so i know what you mean :happy:
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Good luck to you!!!

I'm in the same boat! I was asked in January for a wedding the following December. When we went looking at dresses I hated not being able to try anything on so I went right to work!!!

I'm 50lbs down and working hard to reach 100 by the wedding.

You can do it too!!!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up... You have plenty of time before the wedding to do what you need to do. Just stay on track and keep yourself motivated. Make small monthly goals(ie. lose 10lbs) You can do this!! and enjoy it but try not to outshine the Bride:)
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am in 2 weddings within the next 8 months!!! They are both my sisters! I'm not really stressing out about losing weight for pictures (practically my whole family is overweight)... but I am still using them as motivation! I just bought my dress for the wedding in OCtober in a size smaller than I am now. RIsky move, I know!!! Good luck!
  • wd773
    wd773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    HEY THERES A BUNCH OF US, JOIN OUR GROUP "SUMMER BRIDES AND BRIDESMAIDS" YOUR NOT ALONE MY FRIEND!
    FOR BRIDES AND BRIDESMAIDS UP TO OCTOBER. ITS SUPER SUPPORTIVE AND FUN!:happy:

LETS GET THIS DONE TOGETHER!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Best of luck.
    What I've noticed is that most people notice more when people have gained weight after the event is over. They're smaller and leaner in the wedding pics, but 5 years later practically everyone in the wedding party has gained a good amount of weight. I would think that comment would hurt more now, than a comment where someone is leaner and smaller now compared to a heavier wedding picture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I was the fat bridesmaid at my brother's wedding. It felt awful. I was my heaviest weight ever on the day of his wedding. Yes, people notice your weight when you're in the wedding party.

Now that I've lost all the weight I haven't been in a wedding party! Damnit :P

I'm really glad you're able to use the wedding as a motivation to get fit. YOU CAN DO IT. Think about how amazing you will feel wearing a dress that you rock!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A damn bridesmaid dress was the whole reason I ended up here 15 months ago. I'd accidentally ordered a dress 1-2 sizes too small and ended up having to have it taken in drastically before the wedding anyway. Don't do anything risky, but you'll feel a lot better about yourself if you feel good that day! Good luck!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Best of luck.
    What I've noticed is that most people notice more when people have gained weight after the event is over. They're smaller and leaner in the wedding pics, but 5 years later practically everyone in the wedding party has gained a good amount of weight. I would think that comment would hurt more now, than a comment where someone is leaner and smaller now compared to a heavier wedding picture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Until you're going through proofs with a bride, her mom and her sister, you won't know what I'm talking about.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be a bride in December so I know how your feeling add me if you want a wedding slimming partner x
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in the same position, but I am going to be the Bride!!!!!! I am SOOOO excited to marry my best friend. My wedding dress is fitting, so my goal is to have a flat stomach by the big day Sept. 15th!! This is a huge motivator for me. I know after the wedding, I will keep with it because I really do enjoy being in shape and physically active. Its crazy how working out changes you not only physically but mentally. Good luck and keep with it. Let this be the start of your life long change :) !!!!!