I need help with the water thing!

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before, :yawn: but are those flavour packets bad for you? Are there any good (safe) ones? Ones that won't actually MAKE you gain weight? I can't make the 8 cups a day anymore, I've been a major slacker...I am wary of all the chemicals in the packets.

I know I can use lemon, lime or ginger, but I'd really like to hear what all you wonderful MFP members say. Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• ElectLadyHope82
    Options
    Hi
    Well I like the no calore mio water enhancer....it is really good and I get my water in before the end of the day.

Joanie
  • cjuliano78
    cjuliano78 Posts: 3
    Options
    I can't drink plain water... Yuck! I use sugar free water packets. Idk if the chemicals are bad for you.
    It has to be better than soda.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    People who say that they "can't" drink plain water actually mean they "won't" drink plain water. If it's important to you to drink water, you will. If it's not, you won't.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    as long as you are getting your fluid intake it doesnt matter if its flavored or not, they have crystal light packs that have real sugar (so a few cals) and also ones that have stevia, as well as the mio as a PP mentioned. i dont care for plain water and if adding a lil something helps me get to my req intake then thats what i am doing.
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to adjust to just drinking plain water since for most people they have had only flavored drinks for years on end. Like anything else you can quit flavored stuff cold turkey or you can wean yourself off it slowly.

Please do the planet and your wallet a favor and skip the bottled water. Buy a nice stainless water bottle and use that. If your tap water is really bad get a filter.

I can't imagine having to carry around packets or a squirter just so I can hydrate.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    It takes a while to adjust to just drinking plain water since for most people they have had only flavored drinks for years on end. Like anything else you can quit flavored stuff cold turkey or you can wean yourself off it slowly.

Please do the planet and your wallet a favor and skip the bottled water. Buy a nice stainless water bottle and use that. If your tap water is really bad get a filter.

I can't imagine having to carry around packets or a squirter just so I can hydrate.

you can do flavored water w/out buying bottled water.....i have a 24 oz reusable that i put tap water in and then add the flavor, i can make 240 fl oz for $2....not bad in my opinion>
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    People who say that they "can't" drink plain water actually mean they "won't" drink plain water. If it's important to you to drink water, you will. If it's not, you won't.
    I know what Jody's talking about. I live in the same part of the province as her, and I can confirm that this time of year is when "plain old water" is at its worst tasting, mainly because of chlorine. I mean, you can taste it in the water. During the winter? Fine, no problem with it, it tastes fine, nice and icy cold. But during the rest of the year? Yuck!!! So something's needed to kill the taste of the chlorine. Living in this part of Canada, that's just how unlucky we are with the clear stuff from the tap.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I slice lemons up and drink it that way.
  • sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    You can get a reverse osmosis water filtration system. They make smaller ones that install under your sink. No more need for bottled water.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I drink tap water from a reusable bottle. I just add some Crystal Light to it because I can still taste the chlorine in it. And those filter systems where I come from are a little steep in price, and I don't have the cash to get one.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I never liked to drink water either but I got used to it slowly. At first I drank ice water with meals. That really helped. Now I carry a 32 ounce insulated mug in the truck. Fill it with ice and then water. As long as it's good and cold I can drink it.

I have tried the flavor stuff with the stevia in it and it always left an aftertaste for me.
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options
    Make sure you don't use anything that contains aspertame...it's a horrible, unsafe artificial sweetener.
    MIO is sucralose which is generic for Splenda and is my favorite. It's a 'no calorie' flaver enhancer.
    You can also try Crystal Light made with Truvia but it has 25 calories per packet. I, personally, would rather eat my calories so I stay away from this one.
    Hope this helps!! :flowerforyou:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Well I SAID I was being a major slacker, I think the can't and won't thing was pretty clear. Thanks for your advice.
  • jodycoady
    Options
    I soooo agree with the bottled water thing, I never buy bottled water! If I do, I reuse the bottle until is scummy and dented all over :) I think I'll try the lemon and lime. Thanks everyone :)
  • jodycoady
    Options
    Make sure you don't use anything that contains aspertame...it's a horrible, unsafe artificial sweetener.
    MIO is sucralose which is generic for Splenda and is my favorite. It's a 'no calorie' flaver enhancer.
    You can also try Crystal Light made with Truvia but it has 25 calories per packet. I, personally, would rather eat my calories so I stay away from this one.
    Hope this helps!! :flowerforyou:

I'll have to check out the MIO. Thanks, I agree with the aspartame theory, I think it's bad too.