Thoughts on NOT eating before a morning workout

Options
Hey all, I work out five days a week. My workouts begin at 0545 and usually end around 0700. I tend to do timed (usually 30 min), high intensity cardio strength training followed by about 30 minutes of fight training (grappling, hand fighting, etc). I've been working out like this for about 8 months and so far, have never eaten before a workout. I'm concerned that if I eat, I'll end up throwing up. I haven't experienced any ill effects and am generally just really hungry when I get home. I was pondering, however, the possibility of eating something light around 2130. Might I be compromising my performance if I don't eat beforehand? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Might I be compromising my performance if I don't eat beforehand? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

The nice thing is, you can test this out by trying it for a few days or a week and see if your performance changes.

I wouldn't worry about anything outside of gym performance and behavior (if not eating before the workout somehow makes the rest of your eating habits difficult, for example).

If you try it and like it, go at it.

I train fasted most of the time and I love it. Some people HATE it. You'll know after a few attempts.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Might I be compromising my performance if I don't eat beforehand? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

The nice thing is, you can test this out by trying it for a few days or a week and see if your performance changes.

I wouldn't worry about anything outside of gym performance and behavior (if not eating before the workout somehow makes the rest of your eating habits difficult, for example).

I train fasted most of the time and I love it. Some people HATE it. You'll know after a few attempts.

Excellent post sir.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before my morning workout. I know I will get sick. It is also the time of day I get the best workout in. Maybe try a few days eating first and see what happens. I know if I eat right after I wake up that it will all come back up.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I always train fasted. I like it better that way

If it work for you don't change it
  • Dvija
    Dvija Posts: 11
    Options
    Good point! *laugh* I can just try it. I figure a few hard boiled egg whites and maybe a slice of cheese would be good. And if I end up throwing up, well, it won' t much ;-)
  • Dvija
    Options
    I absolutely get my best workout in the morning. It's my favorite time to be active :).
  • Dvija
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies and good advice! I'll try a little something tomorrow morning and see what happens.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I train 7 days a week between 4:45 and 6:15 a.m. and almost never eat before hand. Heavy cardio every other day, lifting and light cardio on the off days. If I am starving before hand the most I will have is a protien bar. I always eat within 30 minutes of finishing (protien shakes on lifting days, cereal and fruit on cardio days). Do what works best for you.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I used to eat before crossfit at 6:15a. One egg and half an ounce of almonds or a tablespoon of almond butter. Now I've switched to training fasted and that's working for me as well. I never had a problem with feeling nauseous, but all of my classmates thought I was crazy. It's up to you.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym at 5:45 too and never eat beforehand. But I only go until 6:30. There has been a time or two I felt weak after but I make sure to eat soon after my workout.

So long as it's been working fine for you I don't think you need to change anything. But if you'd like to go ahead and see how it treats you.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I work out 3-5 mornings a week, sometimes 5 am, sometimes 6 am bootcamp. I always get up about an hour or so beforehand and eat something small, a piece of cheese, or a cup of almond milk, half a banana or something. I just hae to have something in my stomach before i work out, i feel like i have more energy. But whatever works best for you. I rarely ever feel sick. If you do eat something you just have to give your stomach time to settle and dont eat a huge meal. I go home and make a nice breakfast after my workout!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I work out, I feel I'm not as effective.
    If I am exercising first thing in the morning, I feel like I'm not very effective.
    Put the two together and I'll be falling over and sleeping on the stationary bike.

The only way I get through a morning workout is if I have a big *kitten* cup of coffee first.
  • Mom23djd
    Mom23djd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat an exercise bar 15-20 minutes before I start my 5:15 am workout. I didn't eat one yesterday because I woke up late and knew I didn't have time for it to settle before I started my workout. I seriously didn't think i was going to be able to finish. The first half (30ds) was OK, but then I went out on my walk and didn't know if I would make it back home!

To all of you who are able to go without, kudos! I totally think it is an individual decision.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options

^^^ This^^^
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do just because I do a lot of cardio and feel lightheaded if I don't. I think if I did more focus on weights, then I probably wouldn't eat beforehand.
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat no less than 2 hours before my workout. I find if I do it any closer, that my performance is sluggish.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I wake up so hungry that I HAVE to eat something or I feel like I'll fall over. On the opposite end, my hubby feels sick if he DOES eat breakfast. It's all about what your body tells you it needs.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    When workig out in the AM...I prefer to work out on an emptty stomach...especially if I am trying to cut or lose weight...In the morning when you wake up your glycogen levels are high...and you will burn stored fat!

btw...Most trainers will tell you not to eat anything anywhere from 1 to 3 hours before intense training
  • amys07115
    amys07115 Posts: 10
    Options
    It could actually be a good thing to not eat before morning cardio. If you do cardio on an empty stomach , first thing in the morning, your body will be burning more fat, since you have metabolized your food through sleeping. Fitness competitors always do morning cardio on an empty stomach to lean out.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I drink a mug of hot water and have a small fruit before heading out to work-out. I prefer to work out on an empty stomach, and this gives me what I need without filling me up. I have a big oatmeal breakfast afterwards.