How to effectively exercise with sciatica problems

Options
jbb86
jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
I was in a car accident a year ago and this has caused problems with my back. I also gained 30lbs since then, which I don't believe helps. I can only walk for about 30 minutes before the tightening of my back, numbness and pain in my left leg. I just need tips on how to workout even with this problem and find ways to help.

Replies

• ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a chiropractor or a physical therapist? I have a bulging disc in my back and I have had the sciatica pain down my left leg off and on for years. I even have a little nerve damage. but the best treatment I ever got was from my chiropractor, who had me ice my lower back for 20 min, take it off for 40, ice again for 20, etc. and also take 2 alieve every 8 hours or so. This worked better than any drugs I have ever had. It reduces the inflamation of the nerve which causes the pressure that causes sciatica. I rarely have any severe pain anymore, if it hurts I just ice it and take ibuprofen (try not to do that too often because of potential liver damage). anyway, within the last 6-8 months I have been able to get back into working out, I started with the elliptical, 15 min then increasing by a min or two every time i went to the gym until I got up to 45 min. Then I was able to do the arc trainer, lift weights, and now I run and do bootcamp workouts! you have to slowly ease yourself back into working out, and definitely stop when your back is hurting. There are still some things I cant do because of my back, and when it gets sore I ice it and take it easy. The elliptical was great because it is low impact so it never really bothered my back.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I injured my back in '95 - have a herniated disk at L-5. My pain is in my right leg rather than my left. But, I was given a set of exercises back then that are basically stretches - I never miss a day of those. I've also found that the more I work out- particularly lifting, the strong all of the "stuff around the disk" gets and the fewer flair ups I have. I was an avid runner. Gave it up in 2003 because I couldn't take the pounding any longer. I've actually started doing A LITTLE running recently to see if it's possible to strengthen it enough to allow that again. I would also recommend the advice of a physician (and probably the physical therapist they refer you to) before you start. If you aren't risking further damage, I'll be the exercise itself will improve your sciatica.
  • jbb86
    Options
    I have been going to chiropractor but he hasnt really given me any tips on how what to do (looking for a new one). thanks for the tips, I will try the ice thing. I notice when I wear my girtle that I don't have the pain but I think it will be very uncomfortable to exercise in lol. Thanks for the advice!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I found as I got in better shape my sciatica got better. I had to strengthen my back and ab muscles. Keep walking but do some light ab and back exercises but make sure you listen to your body. Also make sure you stretch well... Best one that works for me is laying on my back with one foot on the wall with knee bent and other foot resting on that knee with my knee bent out and gently push against the wall (hopefully that makes sense). Check with your dr about exercises though.
  • jbb86
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will be going to see my dr. next week, and will take it easy right now so not to risk any further damage.
  • jbb86
    Options
    That made perfect sense. That has been my thoughts exactly, hopefully after losing my first 50 it will get better. I was able to walk 2 miles today and it caused for me to stretch in between but I made it! Thanks for the tips!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think ice will help a lot. I had a lot of issues with my sacroiliac joint before I got my weight down. Icing it helped a lot. I wonder if a pressure point therapist would help?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I work with a massage therapist which has given me an immense amount of relief. Accupuncture works well too. Yoga has made a world of difference for me, I've now switched to a new Tai Chi program, Tai Cheng, which has been wonderful for my issues of numbness in my feet.