Restrooms for marathons...

Options
AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
So I may as well the question all first time marathoners wonder about but don't ask...what options are there if you have to use the bathroom when you are in the middle of the race? I saw someone said they take an immodium in the AM before the race....
seriously, I seem to have to pee at about 9 miles, and what happens if you have to poop while you are running (or in my case wogging)?

Replies

• tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are porta potties on the course. But the lines can be long. Apparently people forget that it is actually a RACE! LOL..... I see people running off into the sidelines to pee behind bushes.

You could always pull a Paula Radcliffe and poop in the street..... she did this and still won the London marathon. She's my hero.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I go before the race...totally empty out!!!! There are PLENTY of porta potties throughout the entire course of every race so that is an option. I have never been in a race with long lines...most people keep running.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Don't eat a lot of fiber the day before your race. Try to "empty" yourself the night before or the morning of.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I go before the race...totally empty out!!!! There are PLENTY of porta potties throughout the entire course of every race so that is an option. I have never been in a race with long lines...most people keep running.

Then we haven't been running the same races. ;-)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    There are toilets on the courses, but it will be counted on your time. If your sweet with that just check your course map it will tell you when the toilet stops are. I've run races needing to pee at about the 4 k mark and holding on whole time, mind over matter ;)
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    A lady in our running club ran a half marathon with us a month ago. She did it in 2:13:22. She hit the porta potties before we started and hit a bathroom around mile 7. She was 5 months pregnant at the time. Last weekend she just ran the Broad Street 10 miler in Philadelphia at 6 months pregnant.... oh... she finished in 1:39:34.
  • AABru
    Options
    There are toilets on the courses, but it will be counted on your time. If your sweet with that just check your course map it will tell you when the toilet stops are. I've run races needing to pee at about the 4 k mark and holding on whole time, mind over matter ;)
    That is an impressive bladder!
  • AABru
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that hasn't belittled my apparent ignorance of race rules! :blushing: I appreciate the honest answers. :flowerforyou:
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    As stated, most races offer pit stops along the way.

I used to take immodium, now just pepto. I normally hit the porta at least 4 times right before (I'm a nervou peer) but I have only 1x had to stop during a race.