bathroom scales

Options
I am looking for sugestions on what type of bathroom scale you use. I bought one at Costco (Taylor brand I believe) and I'm not really happy with it. It fluctuates to much for my liking. When I weigh myself, I do it about 3 times and take the average. I did this the other day and there was a 3 lb. difference at one time? What do you use?

Replies

• TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Every scale I've ever used does that. I use Weight Watcher's brand scale at home and it fluctuates as you described. I use a Healthometer scale at work for our departmental weight loss challenge (I purchased it, so I know it's new.) and it fluctuates just the same. I paid about $30 for each scale, so unless I'm just buying cheap scales, I've decided that they all fluctuate. *shrugs*
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am looking for sugestions on what type of bathroom scale you use. I bought one at Costco (Taylor brand I believe) and I'm not really happy with it. It fluctuates to much for my liking. When I weigh myself, I do it about 3 times and take the average. I did this the other day and there was a 3 lb. difference at one time? What do you use?

I purchased the Eat Smart digital bathroom scale from Amazon.com. It's around $30. It uses strain-gauge sensors which I understood to be more accurate that springs.

It's simple--doesn't do anything but weigh, but it is very consistent and very accurate--weighs in 0.2 lb increments. It starts up relatively quickly and records the weight after only a few seconds as well. My only minor quibble is that to light it up you have to tap on the corner of the scale or bump it slightly with your foot. I have yet to find a consistent "tap" that turns it on every time.

For that, I give it 4.75 stars instead of 5, but I am very, very happy with the scale and it's performance. I bought a simple kitchen scale from Eat Smart as well and it works great. They also have a more deluxe model that contains a food database to give you nutritional breakdown of the foods you weight. That model is recommended by the American Diabetes Association. As much as I like gadgets, I decided to go w/the cheaper kitchen scale (the other is like $75) and get my nutritional analysis free on MFP.

Check the other reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digital-Bathroom-Oversize-Platform/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1246940431&sr=8-1

A lot of other people like it too. (And, no, I have zero connection w/the company or its products).
  • Meags23
    Meags23 Posts: 98
    Options
    I bought a Salter at Home Outfitters and paid $60 (Cdn). I didn't want to spend that much but thought it was worth it. It's super consistent. Also, I was told to never leave a scale in a bathroom because the steam/humidity screws with it and causes inconsistencies.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options

I purchased the Eat Smart digital bathroom scale from Amazon.com. It's around $30. It uses strain-gauge sensors which I understood to be more accurate that springs.

It's simple--doesn't do anything but weigh, but it is very consistent and very accurate--weighs in 0.2 lb increments. It starts up relatively quickly and records the weight after only a few seconds as well. My only minor quibble is that to light it up you have to tap on the corner of the scale or bump it slightly with your foot. I have yet to find a consistent "tap" that turns it on every time.

For that, I give it 4.75 stars instead of 5, but I am very, very happy with the scale and it's performance. I bought a simple kitchen scale from Eat Smart as well and it works great. They also have a more deluxe model that contains a food database to give you nutritional breakdown of the foods you weight. That model is recommended by the American Diabetes Association. As much as I like gadgets, I decided to go w/the cheaper kitchen scale (the other is like $75) and get my nutritional analysis free on MFP.

Check the other reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digital-Bathroom-Oversize-Platform/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1246940431&sr=8-1

A lot of other people like it too. (And, no, I have zero connection w/the company or its products).
    Thank you so much for that info. I have heard of the food scale before and checked it out and I will give this a look too!
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I bought a Salter at Home Outfitters and paid $60 (Cdn). I didn't want to spend that much but thought it was worth it. It's super consistent. Also, I was told to never leave a scale in a bathroom because the steam/humidity screws with it and causes inconsistencies.
    I wondered about Home Outfitters and I guess I will have to look there in person because they have nothing on their website.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use a Tanita brand scale. I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond. I had a Taylor one too - I really disliked it - wasn't consistant at all.

The Tanita brand is great though! Very accurate and consistant! I'm really happy with it!
    The model number of mine is Tanita BF-679W.

You may be able to find it on Amazon too.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use a Curves scale that my mom bought from Avon for about $30. It has the metal plates that you stand on in your bare feet, and it gives you percentages for fat, water, muscle, and bone. I've noticed that if my feet shift slightly, those percentages might change, but the weight doesn't flucuate. It also gives you a daily caloric intake number, but I find that it's a little high for my not-too-active lifestyle. LOL

Avon has a similar one on their Web site for about $50.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have a curves scales and it very much fluctuates too... *pouts*