Casein everyday?

Options
amybg1
amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
When I'm in Spring/Summer training (I'm a silver medalist in sprint kayaking as well as a runner and a competitive curler - going to National next Feb. and always end up at nationals every Summer for kayaking) my protein and caloric intake goes up, but I eat small every 2-3 hours. A side effect of this increase in activity is hunger at night, like EVERY night! I eat whole foods and have no problems with appetite until say 8-9PM. We don't have anything that's really got a good amount of protein taht sits well in my stomach at night, I don't like to eat anything heavy before going to bed though I do have milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and what have you for snacking. Some of the stuff doesn't work for hunger suppression.

I use Casein on my workout days (Mon-Fri come July and August but about 2-4 times a week) and was wondering if I should have a shake before bed along with a bit of solid food of course to help with hunger suppression and of course avoid a catabolic state?

Replies

• amybg1
    Options
    Bump
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I was working with a trainer, he had me eat cottage cheese every night. I usually ate a cup right before bed. It didn't bother me at night and I didn't wake up starving!
  • amybg1
    Options
    The not waking up starving part is true! I had a shake last night and had a small breakfast this morning but wasn't starving/super hungry until after my workout
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If it helps you, then go ahead.

Don't feel like it is mandatory to do to "avoid a catabolic state" because that is nonsense.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    IIRC milk and yogurt are 80% casein protein. How about a cup of yogurt before bed. It has a similar protein per calorie and is more filling to me than a casein protein mix.