My boyfriend wants to be supportive but....

Options
So my boyfriend wants to know how he can be supportive of me along my weight loss journey but he doesn't really know how. He's of the few "lucky" ones who can eat anything their heart desires and not gain a pound. He doesn't always eat bad but he tends to pack in a lot of food after 9 or 10 pm, which is way after the point that I've stopped eating (I'm done by 6-7pm). We live together and yet we are on totally opposite planets when it comes to nutrition and fitness. Both he and I are not sure how he can support me and not have to sacrifice his dietary preferences... do you have tips for us? What can our loved ones do to help us stay on track?
Should I add that he asked me to bake a cake for him today and I said hell no.... but now am thinking about it!? haha. So far my will power has done me well and I haven't fallen to any temptations since I started tracking my calories on MFP. But I feel like I am fighting twice as hard as I would be if I had a better role model around (only in terms of diet, everything else about him is perfect). So my question is: what can he do?
Thanks for reading this and any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Happiness and health to all,
Alina

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Try substituing yogurt (Greek) for milk and eggs in a cake mix. This'll lower the calories and fat, but add good things to the cake :)

Or you could look for low-cal cakes to make like French Yogurt Cake.

My husband is currently training for a marathon and needs lots and lots more food than I do. It's hard for me sometimes because I crave the pasta and the bread that he can have endlessly. Sometimes it just helps me build the stamina to resist these foods when I'm alone -- so that part I think is kind of helpful!

Your boyfriend may not always be able to eat whatever and not gain. Metabolism naturally slows with age and especially if he doesn't do any physical activity regularly, the pounds will pack on.

If his eating bothers you, you should talk to him about it without accusation.

For things that he wants to eat but you cannot or will not, maybe it's time he takes up a few cooking classes and makes these things himself ;-) That way you aren't making a 500 calorie/slice chocolate cake when you can't even eat it but he gets his cake too. Or, make an agreement that if you are going to make fattening things that you're allowed to "slim" them down.

Fried food will become steamed or grilled; or breaded in oatmeal or oat bran instead. Maybe your example will also sweat off on him eventually. Have you invited him to work out with you?
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah we have the same problem--My boyfriend cooks dinner for me and the kids, so I'm sort of stuck having to eat whatever he makes. Sometimes I make my own dinners earlier in the day and then heat them up at night if he is making something especially bad (hot dogs, burgers, whatever) but usually I just try to eat moderate portions of whatever he has made and skip out on things like cheese and sauces while adding more of the veggies or making myself a side salad.

My boyfriend know jackall about nutrition--he thinks ketchup is healthy--and at 44 years of age I don't think his high metabolism is ever going to change, he's super scrawny, so... I just sort of have to micromanage him in the kitchen to make sure he doesn't add butters and cheese to my portions, then I usually have to make my own plate so that I can measure and weigh my foods for correct portion sizes, as opposed to the gigantic meals he will give me. And worst case scenario, I heat up my own made dinner and deal with his tantrum until he is over it :laugh:

He does the grocery shopping also, but in this regard he picks up to the T whatever is on my list, so I appreciate him for doing that and never complaining about all the weirdo stuff I make him hunt down.
  • rachellelala
    Options
    i have the same problem too. I do most of the cooking though so he has to eat whatever I cook because most of the time he is too lazy and i love to cook so it works.
    I recently discovered skinnytaste.com. it has lots of different recipes and all include calories and weight watchers points too. you could try cooking those meals and having one portion while he has 2 or 3
  • pancake35
    pancake35 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm new to this, but I too have the same issue. My husband eats candy and drinks beer and whatever and never gains a single pound. Plus he cooks for us, but thats usually not till like 8pm. I usually just eat a few nuts or yogurt during this time so that I can sit with the fam and feel like a part of dinner.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Tell HIM to make an angel food cake & top with strawberries & fat free cool whip. This is 2012 ;)
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'll have to keep these suggestions in mind! I've offered a million times to work out with me but he's not into it 98% of the time.