pre/post workout meals

Options
I get up everyday around 6am and get to the gym around 6:45-7ish for about an hour My routine includes weights and 3 days a week a do 10 minutes of cardio. I am 21 year old female and I am looking to gain some muscle mass and lose a little fat around my stomach. I have to have a little something in my stomach before I hit the gym and I always love to have a big meal when I get back. What are some good ideas for a pre and post workout breakfast?

I usually have half a mini whole what bagel with some peanut butter before the gym. Afterwards I have 1 egg with some egg whites and vegetables, half a scoop of whey protein shake (1/2 scoop and milk). I do the other half scoop with my lunch.

Is this okay??? I am afraid of eating too much protein because I know it can be stored as fat.

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Any type of calories you eat can be stored as fat... whether it is from protein, carbs, or fats. Just because you get excess protein doesn't mean the rest goes to fat. That comes down to excess calories.
    Your meals look fine. It's whatever works for you. I typically have toast with half a banana and peanutbutter, cinnamon protein bread, or a kind fruit and nut bar with my preworkout drink. Typically afterwards I'll have a protein smoothie with some pineapple and a solid meal about an hour later.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Any type of calories you eat can be stored as fat... whether it is from protein, carbs, or fats. Just because you get excess protein doesn't mean the rest goes to fat. That comes down to excess calories.
    Your meals look fine. It's whatever works for you. I typically have toast with half a banana and peanutbutter, cinnamon protein bread, or a kind fruit and nut bar with my preworkout drink. Typically afterwards I'll have a protein smoothie with some pineapple and a solid meal about an hour later.
    Cinnamon Protein Bread?! Yum, where do you find that?
  • aproc
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-cinnamon-swirl-protein-bread.html

It's very good. I underbake mine by a minute or two so when I pull them out of the fridge in the mornings it is nice and chewy. :)
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-cinnamon-swirl-protein-bread.html

It's very good. I underbake mine by a minute or two so when I pull them out of the fridge in the mornings it is nice and chewy. :)
    I want to try this too. Thanks man
    Also good answer to op's question
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing doesn't matter, it's an all day overall effect. Just eat normal meals with good amounts of each P/CHO/F for the whole day.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Oh, that looks SOOOO good, thanks! I'll be making it soon as I can find some of that Xylitol stuff.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • aproc
    Options

Oh, that looks SOOOO good, thanks! I'll be making it soon as I can find some of that Xylitol stuff.
    No problem! I have trouble finding the stuff too. I end up having to get the kroger brand sweetner. It has xylitol but also another another sweetner that I can't remember at the moment. Closest I could get.
  • abeckman612
    Options
    My post workout is 2 cups milk, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 2 scoops chocolate whey, 2 tbs peanut butter.

it's 1,000-1,300 calories. Depends on the milk you use.

Wow. that's a big post workout meal. I have to take in at least 1,8000-2,000 calories a day for now since I am just starting my muscle gain so that many calories after a work out for me is HUGE. I'm only a girl looking for some toning results.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My post workout is 2 cups milk, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 2 scoops chocolate whey, 2 tbs peanut butter.

Beast Mode.
  • aproc
    Options

Thts my pst workout on days I workout early enough and have time for breakfast. Except half of each of those. haha