Make up for going over daily calories???

Options
I was wondering for people who have been doing this for awhile, if they are able to make up for going over daily calories by not eating your excercise calories the next day. For example...today was an off day where I was munching quite a bit and I went over by about 200 calories, but tomorrow I know I will work out and get an extra 300 or so calories. If I don't eat those extra calories does it sort of make up for the negative calories I had today? I'm coming from a Weight Watchers background where we could keep our activity points we earned and "save" them up to indulge whenever we needed to so that's where my thinking is. Just curious on anyone's thoughts on this.

Replies

• casanmiguel
    casanmiguel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great question! I have a WW background, too, and I'd love to know the answer or suggestions for your question!
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but i would say that is just fine. As another user pointed out in another post I read, our bodies do not reset each day, but rather, we are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week going. I'd think it would be fine within a few days. Also WW is built on a lot of time-tested research so if they allow it, by all means :)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Sure -- you can manage your calories weekly if you like. However, I find it works best to reconcile within 24 hours. It's not the best idea to starve all week so you can load up on Saturday night -- your body tends to yo yo and actually gain a bit after every binge bc it's been used to fewer calories for the most part.

It is however, actually a good idea to eat a bit extra before your workout -- athletes always eat extra in the days before their event to store glycogen. That way they have plenty of energy to perform during the event.

blessings.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since january and I've been going over once or twice a week on non exercise days but always under on exercise days. The weight is still going down slowly. Still happy with my progress.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Happens to me once every week or two. I just shrug my shoulders and try to be better tomorrow. Keep in mind that your calorie goal has whatever weight loss goal you have built into it. 3500 calories for 1 pound. If you have a weight loss goal of 1 pound per week, your calorie goal has you at a 500 calorie per day deficit. Going over by 100 or 300 calories in any given day only means you are temporarily slowing down your weight loss. You can try to self correct by going under goal, but you really don't want to be confusing your body by making it yo-yo even more than natural. Remember that everything in your body is based off hormones and chemical reactions, keeping those as balanced as possible will keep results moving along.
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^
  • nyxt
    nyxt Posts: 60
    Options
    I fast the day after. But I don't recommend doing that because you might end up binging the day after the fast.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tend to keep an eye on my calories over the week and if I'm over one day and under the next it seems to work out OK.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to make up for all of them at once. Instead, try to spread it out over a few days. For example, if you're over by 200 one day, try to be under by 50 for the next 4 days. That way you're not going up and down at extremes. Weight watchers is formulated the way it is for a reason: because your body doesn't respond immediately to anything. Consistency is best, and large deficits to make up for overages will not help you in the long run. Even the MFP mobile app shows your average for the week, and as long as you're at your weekly goal then you'll still be losing the weight you want to lose, regardless of whether one day is over.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everyday you binge whether its 100 or 500 calories more, it puts off you goal weight by another week! The food won't make you feel as good as your goal weight will!
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I fast the day after. But I don't recommend doing that because you might end up binging the day after the fast.
    DONT do this - sorry but it's the beginnings of an ED. And before anyone jumps in to say I don't know what Im talking about, I am a recovering EDNOS sufferer and that's pretty much how my ED started, compensatory behaviour for a binge. It's not a healthy way to eat. Yes, some people fast intermittedly and if that works for them, that's fine. I just don't think it's a healthy habit to get into.

To the OP, I also have a WW background and I must admit, that's what I do. For example, I went over my weekly cals last week by 991cals (eeeeeeek!) So this week, I didn't eat back my exercise cals back for a couple of days to cancel the overeat out. Like an earlier poster said, your body doesn't reset itself every 24 hours but to me, it makes sense if you've gone over to make up for it. I wouldn't recommend you make a habit of it but I will say, those couple of days worth of workout cals do make a difference. Or at least, it works for me, even if it's only a sort of placebo effect! x
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I count my calories for the week... I took my BMR and multiplied it by 7 then did some other math... what I came up with is roughly 5 days at 1600 and 2 at 2100...

so... that being said... if one day I am not as hungry and only eat 1400 or so... I carry them over... also if one day I am extra hungry and eat 2500 I don't freak out... usually I just go for a walk that night and count it as one of my 2100 days :)
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    I really wouldn't stress going over by 200 calories, especially considering that MFP already gives you a caloric deficit. Also, just look at your calories for the week, that's more important than your daily calorie goal in my opinion.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Happens to me once every week or two. I just shrug my shoulders and try to be better tomorrow. Keep in mind that your calorie goal has whatever weight loss goal you have built into it. 3500 calories for 1 pound. If you have a weight loss goal of 1 pound per week, your calorie goal has you at a 500 calorie per day deficit. Going over by 100 or 300 calories in any given day only means you are temporarily slowing down your weight loss. You can try to self correct by going under goal, but you really don't want to be confusing your body by making it yo-yo even more than natural. Remember that everything in your body is based off hormones and chemical reactions, keeping those as balanced as possible will keep results moving along.

^^ this if you're less than 500cals over goal I wouldnt worry at all - you're still in a calorie deficit.

Having said that I do it for up to a couple of hundred it's not good to go to extremes like having 800cals a day all week so you can go mental on a saturday. I'd say even on days you're trying to make up try to keep you intake and preferable your NET close to or above to 1200cals
  • mialegg
    mialegg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to make up for all of them at once. Instead, try to spread it out over a few days. For example, if you're over by 200 one day, try to be under by 50 for the next 4 days. That way you're not going up and down at extremes. Weight watchers is formulated the way it is for a reason: because your body doesn't respond immediately to anything. Consistency is best, and large deficits to make up for overages will not help you in the long run. Even the MFP mobile app shows your average for the week, and as long as you're at your weekly goal then you'll still be losing the weight you want to lose, regardless of whether one day is over.

Thanks for this post...I think this is a good way to go about it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Everyday you binge whether its 100 or 500 calories more, it puts off you goal weight by another week! The food won't make you feel as good as your goal weight will!

Um . . . no, this is silly and untrue.