TOTM Bloat - women post

Options
Hi ladies,

Quick question, any suggestions on what i should do to minimise bloat at that TOTM and the subsequent short term weight game (I normally go up about +2lbs) , should i drink more water?

Any other suggestions are welcome

thanks

Replies

• mandamae
    mandamae Posts: 13
    Options
    Never really matters what I do, I gain and hold on the extra water which can be up to 5lb for me, a few days once my period is over it generally all goes away, frustrating but something that just happens to some of us...lol....
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If anyone finds the magic cure, let me know. xD
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    iv just finished TOTM and i gained 6.5lbs! thats most iv ever gained! i switched to a high protein low carb diet this week and the weight has dropped back off during last 5days. i find drinking more does nothing for me and i always gained 1-2lbs usually. just dont worry too much about it its only 1 week!
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Water balance tablets or just generally diuretics like frusemide and lots of water.....diuretics have a 48hr shelf life once in your body so expect to pee ALOT!! And not reccommended for regular use just if you really want to get into that frock and the pesky tom is causing you nightmares otherwise its easier to just ride it out...
  • aldworth6306
    Options
    The bloat is generally from retaining water, unless your scarfing chocolate at your TOTM, in which case there's not much to be done about that. :) For me it drops back off by the end of the week. I think all you could really do is just ride it out or take some diuretics during that time to help rid yourself of the excess water weight.
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Water balance tablets or just generally diuretics like frusemide and lots of water.....diuretics have a 48hr shelf life once in your body so expect to pee ALOT!! And not reccommended for regular use just if you really want to get into that frock and the pesky tom is causing you nightmares otherwise its easier to just ride it out...

I would advise against taking Furosemide (Most commonly used for heart failure), or any other prescription diuretic, unless you have sought medical advice first.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Bloating is the least of my worries at that time! It's resisting the urge to swap breakfast, lunch and dinner for giant bars of chocolate that is the real problem!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's only temporary!
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    I take pamprin (with anti-bloat), increase water intake (to flush system) and limit salt and carbonation to minimize bloat. Don't think there is a magic cure for it :sad:
  • minuet42
    minuet42 Posts: 33
    Options
    Yep - lots of water and don't weigh. :)

No, really - I keep tracking to make sure I'm not going nuts with the sweets and the bread (oh, sweet, wonderful bread), but I don't weigh. Causes too much consternation.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I talked to my gyn about this just the other day. She said she can give me 6 water pills to take the week before and the week on... She said to take them The tuesday before, the friday before and the sunday before then the Tuesday, Friday and Sunday i'm on it. I have not tried it yet but the week before because i have PCOS i can gain up to 9 lbs the week before and you can tell its all water cause my face and ankles swell and alittle around my belly.... but after ther TOM starts and about 3 day into it i lose it all and go back to my normal wt by the end. i just have a hard time losing weight at that time but I really dont work out much cause i dont like the feeling....
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I avoid my scale around this time. Only adds frustration.
    I agree with the above about dealing with the bloating.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Diurex works great for me. I start taking it a couple days before my period and then during. Yes, drinking more water helps. Watch your salt and even keep exercising, even just fast walking or some jogging. I used to bloat like crazy, get killer cramps, feel so lazy but I can honestly say sticking to my 'routine' and continuing to exercise during this time has helped me a lot. I almost never ever get cramps anymore it seems.

Also I do not weight during that time. :laugh:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I swell up to look (and feel) fully pregnant with a tight round belly and gain about 4-5 lbs .... the weight can last about 10 days but the full looking belly only lasts a day ............. the good news for me is the lbs cant be seen so Im only suffering the full belly for a day ............ I just suffer it as its been the same all my life .... the weirdest part it that my belly swells up all of a sudden in a matter of minutes, my hubby didnt believe me till he saw it swell up one day lol
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I would advise against taking Furosemide (Most commonly used for heart failure), or any other prescription diuretic, unless you have sought medical advice first.

Yeah, I know, my mother was prescribed them for fluid retention in the ankles and legs when she was in the early stages of renal failure, my dog takes them for mitral valve disease. But the OP asked so I answered I also pointed out that this is NOT reccommended for regular use i.e. one off if your feeling that desperate.