Does Strength Training prevent losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I love love love love what weight lifting has done for my physically, mentally, and emotionally. If I were given a choice: Stop lifting and lose weight, or keep lifting and stay the same weight forever, I would not stop lifting. I'd rather stay fat than give up lifting.

:love:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    some friend told me that if I do Strength Training I will not lose anymore lbs, because it convert fat to muscles and no change in the weight……

Please tell me what you know is that correct ????
    If I am doing Strength Training I will not lose more weight ????

Also, you say this like it's a bad thing. If it were true, it'd be flipping awesome.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you don't lose weight, but look way better and lost body fat................................then really why care about losing weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you don't lose weight, but look way better and lost body fat................................then really why care about losing weight?

IDEA Fitness member

What ninerbuff said!!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This, for sure.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    That is my experience too - my weightloss has stalled at 41lb but I am lifting heavy. Five weeks ago I had my body fat measured, and the results this week are that I have lost 4.5% body fat so I am pleased with that. Forget the scales! If you are lifting you will change shape and tone your new body.

Thank you for sharing this.....
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    Hi,
    I started MFP in Jan and have lost 12 kilos.
    I have just started on higher protein and weights. After nearly 2 weeks I have actually gained 900g but I have lost quite a few cms (inches, whatever - sorry Im from Australia) off my body. My clothes are getting bigger and bigger on me.
    I've decided not to worry about the number on the scale too much while Im toning up/doing weights.
    Good luck and my advice is to definitely keep up the strength training x

Thank you for your reply, good result.....
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    Hi,
    I started MFP before 4 months and I have reached my goal about 10 days ago ( lost 16.5 kg = 36 lbs ) . Now I set a new goal to lose more ( 2 kg=4.4 lbs ).

Before I reach my goal I used to do only Cardio training, now I have started Strength Training in the gym…….

some friend told me that if I do Strength Training I will not lose anymore lbs, because it convert fat to muscles and no change in the weight……

Please tell me what you know is that correct ????
    If I am doing Strength Training I will not lose more weight ????

Please share your experience…..

Thank you and have a great time.

First of all, discount your friend's thoughts on that, because for a start, you cannot convert fat to muscles the same as you cannot turn muscle into fat. Muscle and fat are totally different substances and one of them will never transform into the other, no matter what you do.

You can burn off the fat by using it as energy. Therefore, if you take in less calories that you use up, your body needs to get that energy from somewhere and it will use the excess fat and burn that off as fuel, this is how it works.

So, in regards to your question, if you have taken in less calories than you burn during your strength training, your body will go for that fat and burn it off, because it needs the fuel and in turn, you will lose weight.

ps if doing strength training, watch your protein, you need that to repair the muscles you tear during your workouts - they will always tear (very tiny little rips).

Thanks for your replay, about point of convert Fat to muscles , as I told it really form my bad English and I understand it as you have explained it .........thank you for your useful information.