HRM - disappointed (confused)

Options
2»

Replies

• Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Just treat the read out from the HRM as gold and don't be dissapointed just train harder or longer...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've found my HRM shows I burn far MORE calories than my treadmill said (which didn't account for my weight/gender). However, I am far more overweight and quite a ways from the "average" size a machine would assume. You are very close to the "average" a machine would have programmed in it. Given that, it doesn't surprise me that your HRM showed a slightly lower burn.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I definitely see a smaller calorie burn the more fit I become. How could you not as you become more cardiovascularly fit? My average heart rate is less, my burn is less. I purposely have my HRM set to below my actual weight, just for a little added protection from overestimating. I will be changing it again soon as I've almost reached that weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned before, becoming more fit does not decrease your calorie burn in any practical way. The energy cost of an aerobic activity (e.g. running at a certain speed) is relatively constant. In other words, the energy cost of running 6 mph is about 10 METs. (a MET is a unit of aerobic intensity). That energy cost is basically the same, no matter who is doing the activity (exception being very obese individuals). The calories burned will be different because of differences in body weight--heavier people burn more. But the intensity does not change significantly because your fitness level increases. It is still 10 METs.

People think their calorie burn is decreasing because the number on the HRM goes down, but that is an erroneous conclusion. HRMs do not measure calories--they estimate calories based on the heart rate they detect combined with the reference (setup) information you provide. If that information (e.g. maximum aerobic fitness level or VO2max) changes--as it does with training--then the HRM numbers are no longer based on accurate information. Garbage in, garbage out. You cannot use an HRM calorie number as "proof" of anything.

Now if weight decreases, then, yes, calories expended will decrease as well. That's because smaller bodies burn fewer calories than larger ones.

In any case, the combination of weight loss and improved fitness should result in a person working HARDER, not staying the same. If you keep seeing lower HR averages for your workouts you should be increasing the effort level.

For more detail, check this out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/calories-burned-during-exercise-it-s-the-intensity-not-the-heart-rate-that-counts-26524
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I understand what SJB74UK says - better condition doing same exercise means less calories burned. I know its also good to keep changing what you do - as your body gets used to your workout and doesn't mean as much. But does this mean making it a longer workout or a harder/heavier workout?

Well sort of, but NO. It's not harder is it, because you've adapted and perform better. For example, I started jogging earlier this year and have reduced my 5km time from over 30 mins to 25. It's not a harder workout, it's the same because I'm fitter. This is where your HRM keeps you performant. You remove the focus on the time/distance element and turn it onto the workrate of your body.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their detailed and patient replies. :flowerforyou: