Runners-"Dead" Legs

Options
Fellow Runners-

I'm tring to get a feel for what other folks do to ease that heavy feeling you can sometimes get in your legs...

I have been stretching for about 15 minutes before/after my mid to long runs (7-12 mi) and that seems to help a little. I've also tried compression socks, but I'm not totally convinced they are doing much to help. I could probably drink more water than I do sometimes... I'm just curious as to what other folks do!

-Dani

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Fellow Runners-

I'm tring to get a feel for what other folks do to ease that heavy feeling you can sometimes get in your legs...

I have been stretching for about 15 minutes before/after my mid to long runs (7-12 mi) and that seems to help a little. I've also tried compression socks, but I'm not totally convinced they are doing much to help. I could probably drink more water than I do sometimes... I'm just curious as to what other folks do!

-Dani

Heavy, dead legs - horrible aren't they.

Personally, I have never found a cure, my legs usually become heavy when I have either ran further than I normally run or faster than I normally run. However, the next run, if I run exactly that same speed, they are not as heavy as they were the time before - all to do with strength gained through your running.

The other possibility is lack of adequate oxygen getting to your legs. Many years ago, I used to smoke heavy (yes, I know bad lol) however, I also used to do sprinting - now the 100m sprint was fine, but come to the 200m, my legs would suddenly just suddenly die - needless to say long distance running was totally and utterly out of the question. The dead legs in this case was due to my smoking and it interfering with the oxygen getting to my legs during the sprints.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough Iron in your diet, and potassium.

REST REST REST! I noticed that I feel like that after a race so I need to rest for a few days...

Soak in a hot bath with some epsom salts...that really helps too. Or get a foam roller.

Try to incorporate yoga into your regular routine too.
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    I never stretch before a run and after i cool down i do Trigger Point Therapy. I got my tips from the owner of the running shoes store where i get fitted for my shoes. He has been running for over 30 years and has a ton of experience. As a new runner i take all the tips i can.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see what everyone has to say on this topic. I'm just beginning to add more miles to my runs and am always wanting to learn more.
  • musicianbob
    musicianbob Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like burn out to me. Before I initially gained a junk of weight I was doing a lot of running and I knew damn well when I was pushing too much; after I rested a couple of days, I was reinvigorated to run again. I never learned that lesson though, and eventually ended up hurting my foot which in turn lead to me not running for months which in turn lead to gaining weight and now I am slowly getting back to an appropriate weight.
    Be careful. Good luck.
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    it's possible you pushed it too hard. Does your mileage increase or have you been trying to go faster than usual? Cutting back your mileage or giving yourself more rest or easy days usually helps me. I get the "dead" feeling when after a week I push myself a lot, then the next week, my 4 miler feels way too difficult. Also, drinking more water the day before and before your run helps. Especially if you go 12 miles, get in some fuel during your run, it could really help give your muscles glycogen - the immediate energy - to fuel the rest of your run.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I stretch several times a day after a long run-I also started incorporating YOGA into my routine. I also take a rebuild endurance drink after long runs that helps tremendously with recovery.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Never do static stretching before a run, only dynamic. Static after.

Static stretching beforehand can actually reduce your performance.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

so true!
  • StrasseLäufer_DKL
    Options
    it's possible you pushed it too hard. Does your mileage increase or have you been trying to go faster than usual? Cutting back your mileage or giving yourself more rest or easy days usually helps me. I get the "dead" feeling when after a week I push myself a lot, then the next week, my 4 miler feels way too difficult. Also, drinking more water the day before and before your run helps. Especially if you go 12 miles, get in some fuel during your run, it could really help give your muscles glycogen - the immediate energy - to fuel the rest of your run.

I am tryin to increase my milage a little bit- I'd love to be a 40-mile-per-week runner... I read an article in runners world that you should increase your routine by 6 mi the first week, then -3 the next week, then +6 more again the week after that etc... But maybe I should shoot for 4/2/4.
  • StrasseLäufer_DKL
    Options

REST REST REST! I noticed that I feel like that after a race so I need to rest for a few days...

Soak in a hot bath with some epsom salts...that really helps too. Or get a foam roller.

I've used the foam roller a few times at the gym, and I really liked it! I should try to find on on Amazon. By the way, has anyone tried The Stick? It looks like it would feel fabulous and be easy to use.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Fellow Runners-

-Dani

Are you talking about getting a dead leg feeling at the end of the long run, the day after the long run or the run after the long run?
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    One time after a long run that was my then longest run, my legs were very sluggish for several days the next week. I just chalked it up to fatigue and rested a little extra then I got better.

The last couple of days it was very humid and pretty warm for my morning runs, and I felt sluggish. I took off my shirt to cool down some, and that helped my legs perk up.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I get pins and needles when I walk or run... I don't know if I have ever gotten dead legs, but I wonder if it's the same idea.

This thread is helpful.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just gonna give this a good ol' *BUMP* because I'd like to read some of the suggestions later...
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options

I'm currently on week 5 of Couch to 5k so not an experienced runner and just wondering what stretches do people do? I've just been doing the 'traditional' static stretches for legs to date but it seems I shouldn't be?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I eat more. If I'm properly fueled then it's just a mental thing that I have to push through.
  • Sharonab123
    Sharonab123 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have a "THE STICK" and it is with me at all times. It is wonderful. But - I am in agreement with the others, I am of the opinion your 'dead legs' are in need of a rest. Look at your local Wal-Mart, Ulta, for Dr. Teels epsom salt, they come in many variations and work great for me.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options

I've used the foam roller a few times at the gym, and I really liked it! I should try to find on on Amazon. By the way, has anyone tried The Stick? It looks like it would feel fabulous and be easy to use.

I have a stick and love it. It's especially great for the calves. It finds knots I never knew I had!