How do I avoid reduced metabolic rate during weight loss?

Options
I am a new member here, and have a question about caloric-intake levels for weight loss.

About eight months ago, I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in my neck and throat. I immediately started a three month course of concurrent chemo/radiation therapy ... radiation five days a week, and chemo two days a week.

Prior to treatment, I was overweight. I knew how to lose weight, but I had not yet started on a weight reduction regime. During treatment, I lost about 20% of my body-mass. Since treatment ended, I have continued to lose weight at the rate of about 1.5 lbs per week, and am now down about 30% from my starting weight.

Because of the cancer in my throat, and the effect of the radiation treatment on my throat, I was unable to take food orally, and had to take my nutrition in the form of a formula, which I ingested by a PEG tube in my stomach. This lasted about six months (3.5 months after end-of-treatment).

The effect of this was to reduce the volume of food required to make me feel full. In addition, because of side effects of the treatment (dysgeusia, low saliva production), I still find it difficult to eat solid foods, and I seldom feel hunger.

All of this has, of course, made it easier for me to continue to maintain a reduced caloric intake, though this is not a weight loss plan I would recomment. <wryGrin/>

Currently, I continue to live a relatively sedentary life ... I have started walking, riding a bike, and have a new elliptical that I have used infrequently (with the intention of increased usage over time). At this stage in my recovery, I do tire easily, but it is just a matter of time before I am able to claim a moderate level of exercise.

At 6' 0", and currently at 194 lbs, my BMR is about 1800 calories and my BMI is about 26.3. With a weight goal of 175 (at this time), and a loss-rate goal of 1.5 lbs a week, MyFitnessPal has calculated a deficit of about 330 calories a day. This is not hard for me to do, now ... in fact, it is difficult to make the caloric target.

I also know that the human body has a homeostatic mechanism, where, if you have a reduced caloric intake for a period of time, your body automatically reduces your metabolic rate. I assume this is to prevent starvation ... your body assumes you are lost in the desert with no food, and need to conserve your resources.

And, now, finally, my question. At what caloric level is it likely that my body's homeostatic anti-starvation mechanism will kick in and prevent me from losing weight, or slow my weight loss?

I realize that there is no one answer to this question, and I am looking more for general guidelines.

Thanks for any assistance you are able to provide.

¦{Þ