increasing protein/ reducing carbs on a low carb diet

Options
2»

Replies

• dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have seen this. I've been wondering the same thing. So I may have to give this a try (of lowering my carb intake and upping my protein intake). Good luck to all who gives this a try.
  • Sues1824
    Sues1824 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is a bump
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree.... I was obsessed with Atkins over 10 years ago. lost 67 lbs. in a little less than 4 months..way tooo drastic!
    was keeping my carbs some days down to 9-10 , needless to say I ended up in E.R. with kydney stones and the Dr. seemed to be discusted at all the patients he seen with stones on the Atkins (the old version).the most important thing is to exersise which I did not do, so not to lose the musle mass on low carb and had to have tummy tuck to rid the skin and drink-drink as much water as you can and be careful with the salty process foods. (which I am not sticking too) :mad:

I am now low carb.. 35 and under a day
    on it 4 weeks yesterday and down 18 lbs. as of this morning :smile:
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    I would be glad to explain it to you!! this is how it works... when you are looking at a nutrition label, you will see the carbohydrate content.... for this example, we will use 10 carbs. Then you look at the fiber content.... in this example we will use 5 grams of fiber. you then do a simple subtraction. You take the carbohydrate count... which is 10 and subtract the fiber... so... 10 - 5 = 5. This number is you "net" carbs. Fiber is nondigestable and changes the carb content. You will do this for ALL of you foods that you eat that have a label.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a question about "net carb's" vs. carbs. What's the difference? I picked up an atkins protein bar yesterday and on the front package it said net carbs xx amount but on the nutrition list the carb count was way higher. Can someone explain that to me please? :)

The difference is fiber. Fiber is carbohydrates that your body can't absorb, so the "net carbs" is total carbs minus fiber.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Light bulb moment! I didn't know that fiber is an undigested carb. Thanks to all those who answered my question! :flowerforyou:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am on restricted calories and carbs. It has worked great for me.

I eat almost no breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. The only carbs I get are from veggies and the occasional fruit I eat. It has not hurt my energy or anything else. The only thing it has done is help me lose over 85 lbs in 6 months. It worked for me. Not saying it will work for all and you have to be very diligent and focused to cut carbs down. And eating out is very hard (so I don't do it).

Increasing protein is easy, just eat meat. I also do protein shakes because I am lazy and don't like to cook.