those who workout at home

Options
scythswife
scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
I was wondering how many people just workout at home? I do as we can not afford to pay for a gym membership or buy any machines at home. For those that do what types of things have worked for you. I have plenty of cardio workouts dvd and wii but am trying to figure out some strength training stuff to do that produces some results.

Replies

• 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    A lot of people have had great success with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

I do Leslie Sansone's dvds. She incorporates strength training in with the cardio. I also have free weights and stretchy bands that I'll use while I'm watching TV. When the commercials come on, I get up and do a few reps of arm exercises, or I'll do some squats.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym that I have been working on over time. As the father of 3 busy kids, it is nice to go down to the basement instead of making the trip to the gym.

There are several ways of doing it. The cheapest and most space efficient way to do it is to get some resistance bands. You can pretty much adapt most exercises so that they work with the bands. Any strength training routine (from p90x to new rules of weightlifting for women) should be doable with the bands.

My gym is fairly extensive and includes a bunch of different varieties of weights from barbells to dumbells to cable pulley machines to med balls to resistance bands. I consider the resistance bands a very important part of the gym and you can easily do very well with just the bands.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

I do Leslie Sansone's dvds. She incorporates strength training in with the cardio. I also have free weights and stretchy bands that I'll use while I'm watching TV. When the commercials come on, I get up and do a few reps of arm exercises, or I'll do some squats.

lol I have 30ds and a bunch of leslies dvds. 30ds i seem to get bored of after a week for some reason. i love leslies cause u can change it up and some of them u can customize ur workouts. She is awesome
  • hmock93
    hmock93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently started exercising at home because I have 2 young children who do not go to daycare!
    I think the best ways to do it is by following Jillian Michaels DVDs. She really gets you in shape. I have used Killer Buns & Thighs and my thighs were sore after just 10 minutes. lol
    Before I bought her DVDs, I used my porch steps r ran around the house and put obstacles in my way (things to jump over or go under). It's creative and my children love it, too.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Similar to DocGu (and for the same reasons) I have a set up at home. It wasn't cheap (even second hand on eBay) but it's cheaper than the gym and I can be much more flexible as to when I work out.

I started off with bands and some cheap weights and just traded up every time I felt I needed more.

So, strength is a Powercage with Olympic weights and cardio is the local roads and countryside and a pair or New Balance trainers.
  • lgndgirl
    lgndgirl Posts: 5
    Options
    I definetly don't have the $$ for a gym membership. I have 30 Day Shred and Leslie Sansone. I get a little lost on the 30DS, but can follow Leslie Sansone pretty well. I haven't gotten to the weights yet, but I am doing push ups and crunches to start.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a squat rack and bench for all my compound lifts, and a trainer for my bicycle for my cardio. It's the perfect combination for me.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

This, it's less than $10.00 & it works :drinker: :drinker:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use the CharLean Extreme dvd program to strength train at home. I love it.
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing the 30DS shred and now onto Jillians Ripped in 30 which incorporates alot more strength in with cardio and abs! Love it, and it cost a fraction of the price of only one months membership! lol

x
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking and bike riding at home. We also recently purchased a Wii Fit Plus so I've been trying to use that every day to get in some cardio, yoga or strength. I also belong to a local gym that I visit (not as frequently as doing things at home.
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Often times you can find used equipment on craigslist, or by placing an add there looking for some. Many people give their stuff away because they do not want to move it. Another great place to find cheap used equipment is garage sales. If neither of these work for you, fill some milk jugs with water and use for weights. Also, you might want to look into a kettle bell... they are cheap and do the trick!
  • allipix711
    allipix711 Posts: 91
    Options
    I've been working out at home for the last 7 years. We have a pretty good home gym but also a treadmill and I love to do exercise videos, I've done 30DS, Insanity, P90X, Turbofire, etc. If you want to add strength training try buying yourself a kettlebell or two. Awesome workouts! There are some good videos (Godess workout) and lots of books. P90X is mostly around strength training and you don't need much other than a pull-up bar and some free weights.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, I have a treadmill, weights, resistance bands, yoga mat and I use my Directv connection to YouTube to bring up different videos IE: pilates, yoga, aerobics.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I think a lot of people workout at home-I could probably afford Planet Fitness, but I prefer classes, and not the treadmill,etc. I enjoy Jillian Michaels, as her workouts (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30) make me feel I'm working hard/getting a good sweat. I also like Turbo Fire (which is cardio kickboxing).
    It's just about finding what works for you:)
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i too have some jillian work outs including 30ds which i think are great, but i agree that they can only take you so far and can get a little boring.

im starting new rules at home soon with just some dumbells i picked up at 5 below, a cheap walmart barbell, resistance band and ball. i'll either get more stuff as i progress or bite the bullet and join a gym.

i have Cathe Fredrichs muscle max but i haven't used it yet. ive heard great things though.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    i have the wii active it has a resistance band with it so you have some strength training with it have been using it for only a week but it got me off my plateau. It works great for me and I love it only takes 20min a day with rest days in there also wich I have found are very important I am finally starting to tone also with it. Good luck to you.
  • dirtchick97
    dirtchick97 Posts: 58
    Options
    I do the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's, I really like the ones that she uses the resistance band with for strength training. I also have an elliptical and some weights that I use.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ive been working out at home since february last year. Started out doing 30 ds and then Ripped, No more trouble zones, Banish fat boost your metabolism, Killer buns, 6 w 6 p.

Of all Jillian workouts I like NMTZ best for strength, doing it consistently will get you results as long as you push yourself and up the weights as soon as you feel able.
    My experience workoing out at home is to rotate your dvds, it helps a lot.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have to workout at home as I never get time away from my kids, ever!

I have 4 JM dvds that I rotate, 30DS, BFBM, NMTZ and 6W6P. I have zumba and wii fit for the wii but I haven't done either of those in a long time.

Starting NROLFW at home as soon as I buy some decent weights, just finished the book yesterday.