Recovery after appendectomy

Options
rvest
rvest Posts: 17 Member
I had emergency OPEN appendectomy last Monday morning and am feeling good. I started walking on the treadmill (4.6mph, 7% incline) from last Wednesday. So far, still feeling good, but dying to run. Surgeon said 2 weeks until I can run. Does anyone have experience w/ this surgery? How long did you wait to run?

On the weight front, I have lost 11 pounds and have 8 more to go. My weight went up last week due to the IV fluids, but is now back down to when I went in the hospital. However, no weight loss this week! I am really disappointed! I run 6 or 7 days a week (normal case) 3-5 miles and lift weights. I am worried that since I am not eating all exercise calories, is my body starving? I really want to keep losing weight, your advice is appreciated. If I can't run, and am walking (same calories burned, but takes forever) will I keep losing?

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to follow your dr's orders TO THE "T"! An open appendectomy is a lot more difficult to recover from than laproscopic (however you spell that) surgery.... and the complications are much more severe and difficult to remedy if you tear something open. Stick with your walking, watch your calories.... your recovery time is short in the grand scheme of things, and you're doing wonderfully with your progress! Even if you stay at a plateau during recovery, that's great... many people GAIN weight, and don't/can't walk like you are doing!
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I had my appendectomy a little less than a year ago. My doctor said I had to wait four weeks to start exercising again. I think you should just follow your doctor's instructions.
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with maurierose. This is definitely not the time to push yourself in any way shape or form. Since your body is recovering from major surgery, rest and proper nutrition should be your main concern (lean protein & complex carbs!). I think it's fantastic that you are able to hit the treadmill already, but I wouldn't do much more than what you are doing for now. It's just a speed bump and will be over before you know it. Better to take it easy now and have a great recovery then to push yourself and possibly cause unnecessary problems.

Hope the rest of your recovery goes well & I wish the best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Go with what the doctor said. While he might be being cautious, it isn't worth the risk that you may injure yourself further.

I had to have an appendectomy right before finals a couple years ago. Luckly, it was laparoscopic but, even then, when I would push myself too hard, I would get a shooting pain down my side. I was running up the stairs to get to class and I almost fell because the pain startled me. You could get hurt pretty bad if you were running on a treadmill and something like that happened.