Over and under

Options
I have been doing this for a week now and everyday I am under in fat and over in protein - some days over in carbs as well. I eat about 20 grams of fat/day, which I feel is sufficient, but my "goal" is set to 40. I don't really know what I should do. I would much rather eat an apple than a tbsp of butter, but when I have 100 calories left of pure fat what do I do??

Replies

• jcummings69
    Options
    I have been doing this for a week now and everyday I am under in fat and over in protein - some days over in carbs as well. I eat about 20 grams of fat/day, which I feel is sufficient, but my "goal" is set to 40. I don't really know what I should do. I would much rather eat an apple than a tbsp of butter, but when I have 100 calories left of pure fat what do I do??
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You NEED fat. It is essential to vitamin absorption, hormone production, and immune response, and it helps regulate blood sugar and keep you feeling full. If MFP says to eat 40 g, don't eat 20, eat 40! You should never eat less than 20% of your calories from fat, or you're seriously endangering your health.
  • mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    try eating nuts as a snack every day, they tend to have mostly healthy fats and will keep you feeling full.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would much rather eat an apple than a tbsp of butter, but when I have 100 calories left of pure fat what do I do??

Mmmm...100 cals of fat. I can think of many tasty things that fit that bill!! :laugh:
    Yes, you do need fat. Try putting peanut butter on the apple, or snacking on some nuts (almonds are my favorite), and avocados (if you like them) are also great sources of fat (though hard to find this time of year).

Personally, the way I get mine is to eat eggs every day (yolks, too) and peanut butter. You can add peanut butter to smoothies, too, and that's really good. (PB + strawberries + yogurt + a smidge of apple juice = a smoothie that tastes like a PB+J sandwich)

Also, one thing I cut out completely but is a source of fat (saturated, though) is cream in my coffee!
    But you're better off with the veggie fats than the animal (saturated) ones.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Edamame is my favorite protein + fat + veggie. The perfect food. Almonds, too.