Eating Out

Options
So I will be going out to dinner tomorrow night with some friends, but I am not picking the resturant. I know that salad is my best option most likely but sometimes they really aren't that healthy when you get them from a resturant. What should I look for on the menu to eat, and is there a way to record food you order when you go out?

Replies

• HealthyEscape
    Options
    Stay away from anything fried, chips/salsa and anything drowned in butter/dressing/sauces. Most places (at least here in So-Cal by me) have a "lite" menu that has items under 500cal. If push comes to shove, ask if you can get a salad with grilled chicken and a lite dressing on the side. See if you can find out 30min-1hr before hand where you are going and see if a menu is online with nutrition facts :-)

I always keep a notebook and record what I eat so when I get home, I can try to piece it all together :-)

good luck!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Are you probably going to one of the "chain" places? Like Arbys', Outback Steakhouse or Olive Garden?

I'd say stay away from pastas. You could go with a small steak, baked potato and steamed veggies. BUT be sure and ask that no extra butter be put on the steak of veggies. Ever notice how "shiney" the veggies are? That's cos they put a dollop of butter on.

Whatever you do, do the best you can and enjoy yourself, one meal isn't going to break you.
  • mellieking
    mellieking Posts: 27
    Options
    if you can find out where you are going most places have sites online that you can look up calories on and you can plan your meal before you go...

*** I hope this makes since*** :laugh:
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Be careful when ordering even a salad. They are loaded with fating dressings and other high fat products. Grilled chickend breast and veggies are your best options. Good source of fiber and protein, which keep you fuller in the end. You will feel more satisfied with that than a salad. :) Happy eating
  • leannelliott
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!:happy: