scared to up calories

I've recently went from eating 1000 calories a day to 1400 calories a day, because I'd hit a plateau, then I read that my body may be in starvation mode so and holding on to fat so I decided to intake 400 extra calories than usual. It makes me feel uncomfortably full, sluggish and that all my clothes are too tight. I feel like i'm putting on weight, but it says I should be losing it?
I go to the gym for 45 minutes every day, for different classes so I don't understand where i'm going wrong.

Could someone please help?!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Give it a few weeks of eating at a higher calorie amount. Your body might be holding onto everything thinking you are going to drop back to 1000 calories. You may also want to try eating smaller meals throughout the day to help with the full/sluggish front. I haven't looked at your diary so I can't comment specifically to you.

Also calculate BMR, eat that amount at a minimum. Calculate TDEE and target a 10-20% deficit from TDEE to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Give it a few weeks of eating at a higher calorie amount. Your body might be holding onto everything thinking you are going to drop back to 1000 calories. You may also want to try eating smaller meals throughout the day to help with the full/sluggish front. I haven't looked at your diary so I can't comment specifically to you.

Also calculate BMR, eat that amount at a minimum. Calculate TDEE and target a 10-20% deficit from TDEE to lose weight in a healthy way.

Agreed. Also, as long as you are still in a calorie deficit, you won't gain weight. It's basic math. Even if you set MFP for a loss of 0.5 lb/week, that is only 250 calories a day less than your maintenance. Try to think of it logically because there really is nothing to be afraid of if you are always under-eating. You need to fix it in your head before you can fix what's going on with your body!