Newbie - Eating Lunch by 10:00am

Options
Hi all, I have been logging food and exercise for the past 4 weeks, love this app. My problem is that the past two days I have eaten all but one snack (cup yogurt) and planned dinner before 10:30 which makes for a long day and I'm starving by dinner. I just introduced Total cereal into meal plan because I wasn't getting enough iron but now that I've cut oatmeal from my breakfast I can't seem to make it to lunch. I usually snack on 23 almonds, yogurt and granola between meals but today I see I have to cut out the granola because I had a hard boiled egg. I am on a 1200 cal diet. Anyone have ideas for a filling breakfast that is under 240 calories??? I still need the iron, perhaps I could move the Total to lunch.

Replies

• bmartin343
    bmartin343 Posts: 8
    Options
    maybe add fruit- strawberries or bananas- very filling
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think you may be trying to lose weight too quickly. Your body is telling you it needs more calories than you're providing. I usually eat a bowl of Kashi-Go-Lean cereal with low-fat milk and some Kefir yogurt for breakfast. At 10 I have an apple for my snack. Lunch is usually a salad. I have some yogurt again at 3. Then, depending on how much I exercise and how many calories I have left, I make dinner to meet that number. You are more likely to stick with a program if you are eating enough, even though it may take a little longer.
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    grapefruit! its super filling, and the citrus flavor makes it seem like more than it is, for some reason. even a whole grapefruit isn't that bad, calorie-wise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a couple go to breakfasts - #1

3/4 C Kashi Go Lean (original) ..... high fiber & high protein
    1 Tbl sliced almonds (good fat)
    6 oz. Dannon Light & Fit (more proteinn)
    1/4 C unsweetened raspberries (flavor!) ...... Mix this all together.

Nutrition Facts
    Tracy's Kashi Go Lean Breakfast*
    Serving Size: 1 recipe

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 246
    Total Fat 4.6g
    Saturated Fat 0.4g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 3mg
    Sodium 144mg
    Carbohydrate 43.9g
    Dietary Fiber 10.5g
    Sugars 18.7g
    Protein 16.8g
    Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 10%
    Calcium 22% Iron 9%

This keeps me full until lunch
  • nmmoore1979
    nmmoore1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is probably too little. Try looking up your BMR.
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    I was struggling with getting enough iron as well, and definitely hear you about breakfast! So, I cheat and still eat oatmeal to keep me full but take a multivit & iron tablet in the morning. Not as good as the real stuff, but while I'm getting used to eating less (I'm on 1300 cals) it's better than no iron!

Good luck, hope the horrible hunger stops soon!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Another one .... try adding protein to your morning oatmeal.

1/3 C. Coach's instant steel cut oats ( 1 C. water)
    2 Tbl PB2 (powdered peanut butter) ..... or protein powder
    1 Tbl Light Log Cabin Syrup

Steel Cut Oats with PB2

Nutrition Facts
    PB2 & Steel Cut OAts
    Serving Size: 1 recipe
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 221
    Total Fat 4g
    Saturated Fat 0.5g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 137mg
    Carbohydrate 38.5g
    Dietary Fiber 6g
    Sugars 8g
    Protein 10g
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 10%
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to check out this Kashi. As for my BMR, I did check when I created my account and on other web sites and that is correct for me since I am not on my feet all day. To be honest though, I am feeling a little light headed today. I am only aiming to lose about a pound a week, I'm in no hurry.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem starting out. Start tracking fat, carbs, and proteins, and try to meet these three additional goals in addition to just calories. I found that my carbs were too high, and my fats and proteins were too low, so I was hungry all the time and my energy was fairly low.

By feeding by body more fat and protein and reducing my carbs a little, I found that I'm eating the same number of calories, I'm a lot less hungry, and I'm a lot more energetic.

You may also have your calories set too low. If you go to eating a balanced diet and you're still not energetic, raise your calories for a while. If you're tired all the time, you're not burning as many calories as you could.