Can You Lose By Simply Eating Less of The Stuff You Eat Now?

Options
I know it sounds simple and I'm sure the answer is yes...but, will the results be good. I'm staying with the rents to study for the upcoming bar exam in late July.

I plan to workout and try to lose some weight during this period. Problem is that I am broke and do not plan to work during this time. This means that I won't be as able to buy healthy foods. If I just workout/cardio and portion control can I still lose a pound per week? I really want to get down to 217-220 before my birthday in mid July,

I mean right now I drink so much soda and eat junk food. I would imagine simply cutting those out would do wonders?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in - calories out. If you can lower your portions, you can lose weight. It may not be any fun, but you can do it.

However, you mentioned being "broke" then in the next paragraph talked about drinking a lot of soda. Soda ain't free. Water is. One idea might be to stop buying the soda and use the money you're saving to buy better food.

Plus, this whole myth of healthy foods being so expensive is just that, a myth. Frozen chicken breasts (lean protein) can be had pretty cheaply, and you can chop them up and stir-fry them with some cheap frozen vegetables and pasta for a very good quality meal that literally takes minutes to prepare. You can eat it right out of the pan for a single-dish cleanup. It's bachelor chow, man, and it's good stuff.
  • jfields42
    jfields42 Posts: 27
    Options
    That is true. Soda does cost money(im so addicted that I drink like 4 cans a day). Right now, I'm using my saving to pay off loans. Soda is free for me because I'm gonna be with the rents for a few months. But, it is highly unlikely I'll be able to consistently get them to buy healthy food. There are usually chicken breasts etc. but they won't always be available. I hope to eat healthy but I just want plan for the worst.

I agree with the stir fry. Stuff is cheap and delicious!!
  • humairaafsheen
    Options
    yess u can,stop eating when u r felling full,and cardio is good:happy:
  • gendoll
    gendoll Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't eat what most people consider "clean" which is a major reason why my diary is private. I do however stick within my calorie limits, workout and I have been losing fairly steady over the last month. Which is when I started adding working out to my routine. I think as long as you stick to your calorie goal and add working out that you should be fine. But I would recommend cutting out some of the sweets and soda's. I limit myself to one soda a day and very little sweets. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • jfields42
    jfields42 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks. that was very helpful. I am thinking about doing something very similar with the soda and sweets. I have tried cold turkey and it doesn't work for me, I think I need a longer term solution. I am kind of a foodie(love to cook/bake).
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yep that is what I am doing. I am eating less, cut out soda except 1 20oz a week. I try to eat a salad for lunch but often it is leftovers. I work out on my Wii 5 days a week and its coming off slow. Feel free to look at diary. Dinner is what it has always been, just less!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am.
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm ridiculously broke right now due to having to take time off of work while immigration mess around with my visa. I'm eating real unhealty stuff like 2 minute noodles etc. One thing I have noticed is my sodium is always way over, I drink a lot of green tea and water to help with this. I do some form of cardio daily even if it's just a half an hour power walk. I'm still losing weight and feeling fab!
    I know it sounds simple and I'm sure the answer is yes...but, will the results be good. I'm staying with the rents to study for the upcoming bar exam in late July.

I plan to workout and try to lose some weight during this period. Problem is that I am broke and do not plan to work during this time. This means that I won't be as able to buy healthy foods. If I just workout/cardio and portion control can I still lose a pound per week? I really want to get down to 217-220 before my birthday in mid July,

I mean right now I drink so much soda and eat junk food. I would imagine simply cutting those out would do wonders?
  • gendoll
    gendoll Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The main reason I refuse to give it up totally is because I don't plan on giving it up forever. I am training myself to eat the things I love without over-indulging in them. This has to be something we can do for the rest of our lives and giving up all my favorite foods would never work for me. If it works for you then that's okay but we each have to find what works for us and then stick to it.
  • Julietecosse
    Julietecosse Posts: 165
    Options
    Yes it is possible. Try and cut back to 3 sodas, then 2, then 1, then none, replacing with water. That will really cut calories, and you will eventually feel so much better. Good luck with the studying and your weight loss journey. If you have the discipline to study you have it within you to get to that target of loss that you want to have.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Thanks. that was very helpful. I am thinking about doing something very similar with the soda and sweets. I have tried cold turkey and it doesn't work for me, I think I need a longer term solution. I am kind of a foodie(love to cook/bake).

If you love to cook and bake, why not offer to do some of the cooking and see if you can parley that into additional incentive to get your parents to buy healthier food? If you're cooking the meals, you'll likely have more input on what ingredients they buy. Plus, it's a nice gesture for them allowing you to crash with them for a while.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yup yup yup. HOWEVER it has to be enough to go from a calorie surplus to a noticeable deficit. but that's true no matter what you stick in your face.

based on my personal history. i would suggest switching to diet from regular. if you dont like the taste of diet, go with diet dr. pepper, diet mountain dew and coke zero. all served fully fridge cold, especially the coke zero. it's almost like regular, but it needs to be cold. can't quite explain it. I lost weight in college by making the switch to diet.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The main reason I refuse to give it up totally is because I don't plan on giving it up forever. I am training myself to eat the things I love without over-indulging in them. This has to be something we can do for the rest of our lives and giving up all my favorite foods would never work for me. If it works for you then that's okay but we each have to find what works for us and then stick to it.

^^AMEN!!! I feel the same way, I eat alot better than I did before but if someone has cookies or doughnuts or pizza around I work it into my day & only eat a little versus a ton.
  • crazysexykoo
    crazysexykoo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key, eliminate soda (replace with LOTS and LOTS of water), junk food, eat more fresh veggies, and cut out the Lakers and you will see a difference :wink: :laugh:
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    my best friend was addicted to sodas and she just did cold turkey. It sucked for about a week because she got headaches and was so fatigued from the lack of caffeine she was used to but she did it and now soda is too strong for her and it burns going down. Just persevere and you can do it!! :)
  • Roseo47
    Roseo47 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on the 1200 calorie per day for months now and every day when I complete the recording of what I have eaten it says "if you continue like this you will weigh XXX in 5 weeks". Let me tell you after 15 weeks of it I am still no way near what the system predicted. So the 1200 calories plus the exercise program has helped me lose 7 lbs in approx. 14 weeks. The issue - medication. So my answer to you is yes you can lose by simply eating less albeit it will be a slow process but if you are on certain medications the loss will be very very slow or almost non existent.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

Agreed. There are things I really "ought to" give up (soda in my case is not one of them), but I will not give them up for my diet because I have no plans to give them up forever. I figure if I can lose weight with them, I can maintain weight with them. If I denied them during the weight loss phase, my transition to maintenance would be chaotic and probably result in a significant weight gain.

When I started dieting, I resolved that soda was one of those things I would give up forever, and for me it seemed to make the weight loss a lot easier. But that was a sacrifice I felt able to make, and it's worked out well (I do still occasionally have a root beer - my old nemesis - but it's very infrequent).
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Less is always better but also what you eat is more important. Some tips from my trainer: Cardio in the morning before you eat. Eat a healthy and large breakfast. It should be the largest meal of the day. Eat a snack only if you are hungry. Eat a moderately sized lunch. Eat a light dinner. Do strength training in the evening. Don't eat after 9 pm. Get 7 - 8 hours rest. Repeat.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but you will probably still be hungry.
    I know that when I first started this, I wasn't eating that much food but it was pretty calorie dense. Now that I'm eating more veggies, I feel stuffed all the time and I'm losing weight too.
    If you have 20 bucks, run to Aldis and buy some veggies to add.
    I'd see if they would (kindly) purchase some Diet soda for you.
    Drink more water.
    Eat actual portions of food. Scan the barcode on packages if you have the MFP app on your phone
    I don't know where you live or if it's even possible but what about a small garden? Tomatoes & peppers & onions are easy to grow!

Good luck!
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Yes, for awhile. Eventually you'll want to eat healthier if your goal is to GET HEALTHY instead of just losing weight, but I"m a big proponent of small changes, a little at a time. That way you're more likely to stick with it. Start by cutting out 2 sodas/day (or whatever goal you think is reasonable) and replace them with water. After 3-4 days, a week, add another little change. If you're really motivated, add more than one change at a time, but make sure it's something you can stick with.

I'm also a firm believer that ti's only 20% what you eat and 80% how you move your tush. :) So maybe along with cutting out 2 sodas/day, make a goal of 15 minutes of movement. Whatever exercise you want; run in place, do pushups, walk the dog, just something that you don't do now. Just get moving. 15 minutes, that's it. Then you can start increasing it.

Good luck! You can do it!!