too much fiber

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
Is it bad to have too much fiber? I always seem to go over my allotted fiber for the day. Is this a bad thing? It has to be better than going over my calories and fat right?? Please tell me I'm right ha ha.
Just needing some opinions here!

Memaw

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Fiber will make you feel full and keep you regulated. I take a fiber supplement so I go over my fiber everyday. Fiber is one of the most important parts of your diet. So no it's not a bad thing.
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    as far as i understand, fiber offers very little in nutritional value so is not adding to your diet in vitamins and nutrients that you need. Fiber roughs up the intestines and cleans out your system, if you are not at all regular or are at the beginning of a new eating healthy eating plan, extra fiber is good to help clean the crap out of your system.
    Try to get more of your fiber from vegetables rather than bran and things like that and you will get more of the nutrients that you need.
    As long as you are eating everything else you need then I don't think it is too much of a problem to eat a little more fiber. Its gross but if you notice your BM's being too often or a different consistency than try and cut back a little.
    Thats my understanding anyways.
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    of course fiber is essential to your diet
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Here is a link from the American Dietetic Association:

http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/Fiber_Facts.pdf

Women need to consume at least 25 grams of fiber a day.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should get up to 30 grams of fiber a day but MFP says 15, so I dont really worry if i go over, i try to get at least 15 to stay "regular" though.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    MFP sets mine to 16, which is too low, I think.

If I notice, I set mine back to 20 g. I don't use 25 g for various reasons.
  • JWalker514
    JWalker514 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've read a couple articles lately, that suggest eating atleast 30g of fiber a day to help with weight loss. So I have been getting atleast that much if not more.
  • rocknrollsinger
    Options
    It's totally OK to go over your Fiber/Protein allotments for the day. I would just avoid going over the Carbs, Sugar, Fat, and Sodium categories because those are the killers. Extra protein helps build/repair muscle, and extra fiber helps keep you regular and many studies suggest that diets high in fiber area healthier in many ways.

92160.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your allotments for the day, and up your fiber and whatever else you might go for. I usualy worry about calories and fat more than fiber or protien.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your allotments for the day, and up your fiber and whatever else you might go for. I usualy worry about calories and fat more than fiber or protien.
    how do you adjust this?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    how do you adjust this?
    Go to your My Home tab, click on it. Click the sub-tab Goals. Down at the bottom, there is a Change Goals button. Hit that and select Custom. You can change whatever you want, but I don't mess with the calories, or fat allowances.
    You can even adjust the workout goals as well.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Some research says more than 45-50 grams of fiber can inhibit with nutrient absorption. Too much fiber can cause blockage esp if you don't drink the proper amount of water.
  • Mariettarose
    Options
    After talking to the surgeon who did my colonoscopy (I know it's a bad word), he said he saw more people with problems from too little fiber than from too much. He said there really wasn't too much in a normal diet as long as you drink the water to go with it. So yet another reason to drink all that water. :tongue: