When you are sick...

KZOsMommy
KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
do you count calories or just let it go? I have a stomach bug that no matter what I eat I am running to the bathroom. I don't eat unhealthy food anyway (everything fresh nothing processed) but not sure how many calories I am getting today as I am trying to eat and drink when possible. I have no fever just stomach ache and using the bathroom a lot. Not really hungry but like I say just forcing myself to eat.

Just wondered what you all did.

Thanks for the help in advance :flowerforyou:
Amanda

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I think if you eat it, you should count it. There is no way to know what your body holds onto during these times. That is just my opinion. I could be wrong and I'm sure there is someone on this site that knows the medical answer. I hope you feel better soon.

Memaw
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Just my opinion, but unless your eating crap, I wouldn't worry too much. If your craving certain foods, ie. oranges juice, your body probably needs the vitamins to help your system. Odds are if you're not feeling too hungry, you're not going to overeat, and almost definitely won't go over maintenance, so I'd just focus on feeling better .

Hope you get well soon:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Just went through this,,, had something viral and really uncomfortable for the past week. Better now,,,

When I was sick I went ahead and kept logging, but I basically took myself off of the 1000 cal a day deficit and went for "maintenance", eating and had pretty much W/E I felt like. I figured that when you're sick you need to get better - you gotta fix the machine. Operating in a Calorie deficit is a stressor on your body,,, fighting a virus and being feverish is another stressor on your body,,, why do 2 at once? Ok, so what if I don't lose my 1.5 pounds this week, this ain't a sprint.

I went ahead and ate what I could eat and laid off the exercise too and just rested and stayed warm and tried to get better, and I did. I think it was more comfortable and probably helped me get well quicker than trying to diet through an illness.

And here's the funny part - I still made my progress!,,, didn't gain or even really maintain an extra ounce. My progress chart is still trending down, just like before.

If you're fighting a tummy thing with lots of tummy trouble you're probably dehydrating. Eat what you decide to eat - that's up to you. But I definitely think you should Drink more.

Get better! :drinker:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Thank you all very much! Yes I have done lots of water and have not had any tea or coffee today for that reason (dehydration).

Going to go lay on the couch now :yawn:
This discussion has been closed.